How to write a song?

graceboi

I've always had this problem where I found myself in the same situation. I always get stuck in that 16 bar loop. Is there any ideas and tips how we can take our music beyond this? :D

Seriously, I have great melodies for my contemporary slow R&B song but the hardest thing for me to do, is to get it pass that 16 bar and finish it! I don't have problems with trap because with that, I can always come up with ideas and loop it. Add some snare roll and variations here and there. However, when I talk about real song such as composing it's a whole different level imo. I don't know if the same rule apply but I find it much harder to compose than produce. To give a short idea of what I'm talking about listen to this track I made. My goal is to finish it and turn it into a hit song. I'm just sort of stuck right now. How would take this farther?

Sorry no mp3 yet, as it is still work in the process. And pls do not re-post this elesehwhere (lol) this is my hit song! It will be 10 times better than this when I'm done.

I have many ideas in mind for this track. I wanna add the 'whoom' bass glide effect to it, right before the singing start - don't know if it will work for this song though. I want to make this a sort of uplifting song, back up vocal harmonies. Musically I want it to be like Boy 2 Men and All 4 One, guy's band back in the 90's.

Last edited:
I think my problem isn't so much about the arrangement. I just have a hard time playing what sound good and how to connect chords and transition to bridge. What I found is that if I start with intro, verse, bridge, chorus, I will most likely get stuck this way. I think some of the top producers understand this. This time I want to change the way I work. I might have to start somewhere in the chorus and then work backward. As for my playing, I like to play romantic music. Love songs, classic R&B. I like to make real song, kind of like bread and butter.

I'll try to post up something once I get some work done. This way ya will know what I need to play or what to change and make transition.

Last edited:
Back