How to write electronic pop riffs?

olsyboy

Hi!

I am a producer, but I think the hardest part is making the little catchy riffs. These are present in all of Ke$ha's songs (which I really like the production of).

I understand scales (Grade 5 music theory :P) and chords, but can anyone give me a hand with the first step?

Thanks so much for any advice!!

From Olly :D

Hi!

I am a producer, but I think the hardest part is making the little catchy riffs. These are present in all of Ke$ha's songs (which I really like the production of).

I understand scales (Grade 5 music theory :P) and chords, but can anyone give me a hand with the first step?

Thanks so much for any advice!!

From Olly :D

Easy, just copy riffs from popular songs and rearrange them, that's what all the major producers do. There hasn't been anything substantially new in pop for the last 10 years. You mentioned Kesha, all of her riffs are easily duplicated.

For example, every dramatic pop song today follows "f c# g# d#" . From Adele's hello, to John Legend's all of me, (adele's hello is just a more dramatic version of john legend's all of me, but with different feel and transition). They all sound the same. Again, super simple basic music theory notes. That's the key to writing good pop riffs.

Find out the major and minor chords for the notes above, and create ear pleasing/simplistic transitions. You can change the tempo, add passing and filler notes, and bam, you're in the game! But remember, percussion is key if you're going for a dance track.

And don't forget, if you're going for a pop song, make sure to COPY other songs! It's called Pop because it's popular for the ears of today, so only big money and major marketing can change the sound of pop, something beyond the control of producers and musicians. Good luck!

Cheers

Thanks!

But I still don't get, like.. Rearranging the riffs? I tried lots of times just now, doesn't sound too good :P

That chord sequence gets everywhere now I think of it haha

The songs you mentioned are just on piano and some drums which is very simple to produce!

Anyway, can you give me an example of rearranging a riff? I mean, the song We R Who We R has a riff all the way through which is extremely different from the riff in Blow (both major pop songs by Dr Luke).

Thanks so much! I am so grateful to talk to someone about production

You've got to copy riffs exactly the way they are, and add your flavor bro. Do you have an ear for music, or are you more of a read notes kind of guy? If you have an ear, you should be able to copy down the synth portion of that song using a piano. You can always replace the sound with a synth later. I'm not sure if you mean it doesn't sound good arranged, or the quality is lacking.

Play We R Who We R exactly the way it is into your sequencer and mess with the arrangement, don't change the notes themselves. You'll eventually come up with something new. Inspiration comes from other music, not the brain itself. Get comfortable copying other people's work and making it your style from it. Don't try composing from scratch, you can do that when you get a lot better.

Probably a note reader.. :p

Anyway, last question, what do you mean by mess with the arrangement if not with the notes?

Ok, well if you're a note reader then look up the written notes for the songs. Most of the popular songs have digital sheet music some where online.

What I mean is, play the song exactly the way it sounds on the original recording into your sequencer. Then, move and shift the notes to different bars in the beat. Like if a chord starts at the beginning of a song when the kick drum happens, try moving that chord further along the pattern to the position of the snare.

Back