How this Vocal Effect is Done

SimonT

Hi All!

I was wondering what other peoples opinions were on how this effect is done in this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGH629a214

In that song, the effect I'm talking about is on the "alright" vocal part heard 40secs in.

It sounds to me like it's (reverb and delay) or (reverb and echo) combined. I use Reason mainly, but also FL Studio. Anyway, using Reason (I found the tempo/bpm is 118bpm by the way) I got it pretty close by singing it in myself, and chopped the vocal so I just got the "right" part to add effects to (as that is the actual part of the vocal being effected/repeated in the song), and moved the "all" part of alright to another track and left it dry. Anyway, I used the RV7000 and worked out the reverb had to last for the remainder of the bar it started in, and another bar afterwards. So the whole "alright" vocal plus the reverb lasts for 2 bars or 8 beats entirely. Then I added The Echo to the "right" vocal track. I tried the DDL-1 Digital Delay Line at first but something weird was happening which I won't go into at the moment, so I got rid, and tried The Echo. With a little trial and error I soon realised I needed to set the Delay Time of echo to 1/8th notes. I thought 1/16th notes at first, as there's 16 repeats I counted but no, the repeats weren't right

So...

1) Was I right to chop the vocal up to just leave the "right" part or would people here have used reverb on the whole vocal, and just echoed the "right" part, as I realise if I echoed the whole "alright" vocal then it wouldn't have sounded right at all I don't think?

2) Have I analysed the effects correctly here. Is that the right 2 effects people here hear being used, reverb and either delay or echo?

Anyway, just wanted to see what others thought, and to just say, it did sound pretty close but something about it didn't sound spot on, but thought this was because I wasn't using the actual professional vocal or sample.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back