how to use a synthesizer

EBE725

What are the basics to using a synthesizer, what do the oscillators and LFO's do? If anyone can explain this, or knows of a website that can explain these things, that would be great. I'm also looking for something to explain how to create certain sounds using a synth, like strings or a kick drum, etc.

Basically, any synth will follow a bus or path to a final outcome. It all starts with a waveform. That is what an oscillator does for you. It gives you a basic wave (saw,sine,square,etc). Some will even have more than one oscillator. Then you go to a chain of "sound-changing" effects. These are usually filters, eqs, LFOs (lo-freq reinforcement), resonators, etc. What all of these do depend on what is done before them. Depending on if you're working on anolog synths or a program that emulates these synths, your workflow can changge. But, basically, you start with a wave of your choice from an oscillator. Then you choose filters and eq to form that wave into the basic tone. Then you can use things like resonators, rings, etc to get the little nuances out of the sound. Most go from left to right for a reason. That is the Standard flow of any path (written, signal flow diagram, schematic, etc). Basically, start with a simple wave. Then move on to the next thing and learn what it does. In time, you will be able to tweak the sounds you are looking for.

If I may add a bit of wisdom myself...
All the waveforms have harmonics,the higher corresponding frequencies that you can filter out,except sine wave.

You may notice that allready if you have a sine wave that the filter wont change the sound much except "tone" it down a bit...

Back