How is trance music written?

hey man

hi ... i really like your way to learn your slf how to make the trance music .. it's so easy to make a trance track ... im going to make it easy for you ... you dont have to worry about some thing all what you have to is only to chosse a real trance track form any singer you like .... ltes talk about ATB he have many songs and they are really so simple ... you have to hear them well & after you hear them you will fined each track have an intro & its always strat with melody or bass with drum hit step by step you add some of drum kit's tools & you drop the main beat you have it & during this action you can drop the snar fill & you add a sad melody with string effx ,,,, & then you wasit the song by playing the main beat with the bass ... its so easy you have to give your self a try we all learning in this life ...
im doing the rap music & hiphop beatz & freestylers & tracne , house , rock & roll & breakdance music are my best fan it's walk me to the old time when i can be with the mike ... so there is no one teach me the music , yes it's the truth i save for my self all the equpment from my salry & i never use to go to any skool to tech how i ply the music .,.. it's all about one thing & it's about how much you love the music ...
so all what i want to syit for you you have to give your self a try then you will pass & dont be sad if you dont pass from the 1st try hahah keep smiling all them time ... you will doit .. :angel:

one thing that i like when you are a n00b in producing and if you dont got the skill of example hearing a melody and you could easly produce that same thing again.

Even now the trick works. I try to remake a favourite artist melody but it wont go as planned but instead i have something of my own to work with...You lay out the chords as how you think the melody that you try to redo is written and of course you are wrong in the beggining if you arent really talented in music making but you instead get a new melody...You tweak around with that one and youve got your one melody....

thats just a tip for producing

even those who are unskilled can use this little tip and it works great :D

cheers

yeap been through it all

Hy Fellas just thought I would add my 2 cents in about trance music, Ive been doing it for some time now, and the thing about sounding great one day and sounding crap the next!
Well its a little thing called "Ear Fatigue" yeap its so true
it all comes from too much tweaking and too much adding and to much this and less that....and goes on and on and on and on...right?
best thing to do is work on a track in Partions, then maybe start another track and come back to that one, and keep adding to the track not tweaking, remember too much twaeking is not good!!
but dont be worried sometimes those Gremlins Still get in my machine!!!!:cry:

How is trance music written ?

The same way much music is written. The first thing I remember when sitting down to 'write' is something Brahms said. Basically he said that ideas are just ideas and do not constitute and entire piece of music. So if I have and idea, not matter how long or short, I just concentrate on recording the idea and do not try to make an entire piece of music out of it. Because I find, when you do that, as so many others have mentioned, you go back to your entire piece at another time, say a day or so, and you find it's not as good as you first thought.

When I've got my idea recorded so that it reflects as closely as possible what I had in mind, then I sit down and look at it in detail. Think about it, Don't be encouraged by your hardware to simply hunt through endless samples and bolt something onto the end, that's the problem with the high tech hardware today, too many options, you spend your creative energy dealing with all the options the hardware throws at you. Think about it. what notes chords and cadences are you using ? What Rythmns ? Don't worry about what sounds your synth or software is capable of, just concentrate on the sounds that your original idea evoke in you, than take that to the hardware and hey, you've had another idea that should completment you original.

Thats pretty much what I do.
all the best,

nictu.

few tips from you guys...

Just outta curiosity fellas..
Im hearing 2 sides of the story and I thought I might get everyones opinion.
Lets say for eg. Im recording several midi parts from my synth
like a bass groove, some melodies here and there and some heavy percussion...
now' does everyone normally record "dry" and add effects later
or
record each individual track and add effects to those tracks individually as they go along...

It seems to be a question that might help boost people methods.....

<The sound of nothing>

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

As I use Reason for most of my compositions, its very easy to add effects as I go along and I therefore tend to do it this way, primarily because the presets in the Reason synth and sampler modules are generally used to death so adding various effects and controlling the filters with the LFOs etc etc can completely change the sounds and give a loop a different sound/feel or rhythm.

When I actually get to the mix-down stage (I use Soundforge 5), I sometimes add effects to parts of the song as a whole not just individual tracks as well as adding the 'finishing touches' mastering-wise.

So I guess with me it varies, but only because Reason has a relatively simple interface whereby one can add one of a number of effects with a few mouse clicks.

On the subject of frustration: For me I'll have a small chord progression going then let's say I'm on my C (5) in a 6,4,5,6 progression and I'm feeling like Beethoven messing about in my scale "THIS IS GOING TO BE SICK! THIS IS IT! FACEBOOK/YOUTUBE TIME, then when I link it back to my previous notes from my progression it's like "ehh, I guess my previous stuff is okay." then when I go back to my masterpiece it becomes "yea, it's neat", then when I move onto my d (6) and noodle around then return to my masterpiece, I find it has degenerated into a "gee, it wasn't really even that great". (Flashforward the next morning) "Oh yea... .. the thingy I wrote last night...it's neat I guess...it was good! It really was! Ah, I bet I can do better today, I'll just keep my paper in the stack and use it's ideas another day."

Edit: Just realized I'm from the future-

Facebook: Social networking website
Youtube: Cat videos

Last edited:
trance music is usually written in 1/16th notes, arpeggiated with a note on every hit...go to nonstop2k and download your favorite trance melodies and see how they're constructed....let me know if you have any questions

This is so a general question... you know there are like 100+ different styles of "trance"? And still today no one knows what "trance" music actually is

Trance music (traditionally, i.e. not pop music that most people think is trance music) is really 2 things:

1) A chord sequence.

2) A feeling you want to inspire (usually a happy one).

To write a trance track you write a chord sequence then derive everything else form that. EDM seems to have move away from harmony and chords into emphasis on rhythm. Modern trance still has a strong chordal structure.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

On the subject of frustration: For me I'll have a small chord progression going then let's say I'm on my C (5) in a 6,4,5,6 progression and I'm feeling like Beethoven messing about in my scale "THIS IS GOING TO BE SICK! THIS IS IT! FACEBOOK/YOUTUBE TIME, then when I link it back to my previous notes from my progression it's like "ehh, I guess my previous stuff is okay." then when I go back to my masterpiece it becomes "yea, it's neat", then when I move onto my d (6) and noodle around then return to my masterpiece, I find it has degenerated into a "gee, it wasn't really even that great". (Flashforward the next morning) "Oh yea... .. the thingy I wrote last night...it's neat I guess...it was good! It really was! Ah, I bet I can do better today, I'll just keep my paper in the stack and use it's ideas another day."

Thats because the more of your brain that's taken up doing the less is left to listen.

Last edited:
^for uplifting style trance, arpeggiated 1/16th notes are the way to go :)

also it should be noted that most trance is written in a minor key...

Back