how to sugar coat your beat/ear candy?

L

l3lackjax

what are things you guys do to your beat to make it so people want to listen to it? like ear candy things... im not talking about specifically about the hook. Maybe im trying to ask how to get it to sound good... im not even sure, but its something im missing from my production and I want to find out what it is so my shit sounds better. Is it legit just good mixing or is there an art to ear candy? Like any specific frequencies to EQ, etc?

It's like, my shit doesnt have the right kind of energy. or at least not enough of it... but so far any mixing i do doesnt seem to give it the shit that'll make it bounce and pop etc... idk this so hard to explain. Gotta be something im missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, everyone has their own little trick to add 'ear candy' or sugar coat their beats. Some people layer, some people EQ in specific ways, others use specific instruments, some people throw random noises in and others do subtle things like putting an 808 kick under their regular kick. It's all a taste thing mayne. I don't wanna give away to many of my secrets but I'll tell you what helped me: Listen to your favorite producers and try to discern what makes their tracks pop to you and C if you can replicate it

i think we all have trouble with this. if you feel like you are doing all you can do to it, maybe you should throw down the money to master a track and see how it sounds.

Back