How to soften drums like Motown???

Dennis1990

I been having an idea on making a soulful beat and sampling the soulful beat I made to have that sample feel

I wanna know how can I soften my drums,snares,hats to have them sound like the Motown era

here an example on how I want the drums.... Any advice?
What kind of kicks & snares are those?

starts at :10

Last edited by a moderator:
You could probably get quicker answers to all these questions by simply Googling and Youtubing them, instead of making a bunch of threads.

watch the movie "Standing in the Shadow of Motown" and you will begin to get an insight into how they did this

big hint

real people, playing real instruments in the same room at the same time, minimal microphones, lots of bleed from different instruments into every microphone

drums tuned in a particular manner, technical skills allowing the drummer to play softly and loudly at need

you may find the Abbey Road 60's drummer for Kontakt comes close to providing you with the sounds you seek

Last edited:
And to elaborate further on what bc said - Motown stuff sounds like Motown stuff because of that room and those specific mics they used, recorded to tape, along with the top-tier players of the time. It's not easy to recreate.

Back