How to really improve my music theory?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I am really looking to get better with chords, chord progressions, and melodies and what not and just overall increase my knowledge in making beats. I feel so limited when it comes to making beats and I feel like I can always start a beat but never add on to it or finish it. I am hoping increasing my knowledge of music theory will help me as I really never learned it I just learned things like scales and time signatures and basic chords and progressions. But anyways if there is any videos or books or dvds or something you guys would recommend to me? Alot of these beat tutorial videos I watch and other stuff these guys just have crazy knowledge and theory and make sounds and chords and patterns my mind can't even fathom around so I can only imagine what profressional producers are doing. Feedback always appreciated thanks!

Start by reading the newly created theory composing and sound design megasticky at the top of this board. Loads of good resources there!

I wish I had the books I studied to let you know what I studied with in college. You want to start out with "classic" music theory, which they refer to like western music theory or something I dont remember. The book I had analyzed each chord in a scale and how and when to use them. There's also a numeral chord chart showing you which chords go well with what. The classical music theory stuff is the foundation. Once you're done with that, I would highly recommend looking into jazz theory, which gets crazy. This is where you learn how to expand on the classical music theory with even more colorful chords and how to break the rules. It's insane. I have a few books on it, but I would recommend the Jazz Theory Book by Adam Devine. This is only after you understand classical theory very well though. If I find out the beginning music theory books, I will let you know.

Honestly the basics are super easy to understand when you have if explained to you the right way, I'll try to find some of the resources I used to learn and post them soon

Look up Michael New on youtube, he currently has 36 videos on music theory and has them organized in a neat playlist to binge-watch!

There's a cheat sheet guide called "Music Theory for Electronic Producers - ON ONE PAGE." I picked it up on Etsy for £7 and I refer to it constantly. It's a good way to use concepts that aren't yet imprinted into your memory.

Learn basic ear training (specifically interval training). Then, sit back and listen to music. Every time you listen to music, take note of the interval changes in your head. Try to recreate later (midi keyboard or anything). I promise you, after a week, you'll be infinitely better than when you started.

listen to your favourite tracks and try and see how one section moves to another. this'll help you make a more complete song once you listen to it enough.

IMHO, the best way to learn music theory is via its application on an instrument. Reading and watching videos about music theory does not mean that a person knows how to effectively apply the given principles in interesting and creative ways.

My advice is to study an instrument with a competent instructor who incorporates applied music theory within a student's learning experience, such as a Jazz professor or a professional gigging musician with a track record of progressing students to an advance level of musicianship. The said music instructors will usually focus more on music theory throughout a student's development. Just be sure to clearly state your goals to the music instructor before taking lessons so a path for progression can be put in action.

Unfortunately, outside of classical music education, effective music teachers are difficult to find and/or not cheap for music students in a non-college learning environment. The typical music teacher, at Guitar Center and other common locations, rarely, if ever, progress a student beyond the late beginner/early intermediate stages of development, which typically only cover rudimentary music theory.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Learn fundamentals, what genre you want to write a song? Find articles, books, anything. Listen to your favorite songs & practice on the instrument you like.

I have been learning to produce music for about 2-3 years now. I studied music back in school but didn't touch it through university. I've got to grips with my DAW and have been making tracks for a while. However, this year I'm really looking to focus on learning the piano and all of the scales, chord progressions, etc. associated with it, so I can just sit down at a piano for a couple of hours and create all of the main chords, melodies, etc. to make a track. I've got dyslexia and I'm pretty terrible at reading large text books so I've been thinking of ways to help me remember various things. I was wondering, do you have a keyboard or piano you can practice on? Recently I've been learning different key signatures playing certain loops (e.g. a guitar loop in G-sharp minor) continuously in my DAW, whilst simultaneously playing around on my keyboard until I find all of the notes that fit with that key. Last night I played around with different chord patterns in that key, made a 'make shift' structure for a three minute track, then played loads of different melodies and bass lines to fit with it. Now I have a large part of a track completed, and all of the notes in G-sharp minor are cemented in my brain. Worked a treat.

Hopefully that all made sense and helps you out! I've still got a lot to learn myself but things like this have really started to help me improve my musical ability. I have some other tips/techniques if you want, just send me a message on Soundcloud.

I know that feel! I play bit guitar and make beats for a few years now and always hated i don't know where is the next chord or next note is when in my head i knew already how it should sound.

Now i started to take cassical piano lessons, told her to make sure we cover the theory well along with learning to play right.
She already made me write a sheet and we do ear training etc.
I actually used to learn the scales i need for my beats before i got my push with scale mode :D Damn you ableton!! :D
Playing with push is fun but i noticed i play different when my fingers are on the keys.

Investing in musicianship and develop a skill to play music is never wrong, and fun too. I also think my fingerdrumming skills will benefit from my piano lessons too :)

Hi, I specialize mainly in chords and progressions. My site not only has a bunch colorful chord progression in WAV and MIDI but there are PDF charts too.
The charts help you to find what chords and possibilities exist from any key.
I use do videos to explain easy trick on how to find chords, on the keyboard.

Back