Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to really improve my music theory?

Thanks

How to really improve my music theory?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, I am really looking to get better with chords, chord progressions, and melodies and what not and just overall increase my knowledge in making beats. I feel so limited when it comes to making beats and I feel like I can always start a beat but never add on to it or finish it. I am hoping increasing my knowledge of music theory will help me as I really never learned it I just learned things like scales and time signatures and basic chords and progressions. But anyways if there is any videos or books or dvds or something you guys would recommend to me? Alot of these beat tutorial videos I watch and other stuff these guys just have crazy knowledge and theory and make sounds and chords and patterns my mind can't even fathom around so I can only imagine what profressional producers are doing. Feedback always appreciated thanks!

Thanks
    Start by reading the newly created theory composing and sound design megasticky at the top of this board. Loads of good resources there!

Thanks
    Hooktheory 1 and 2

Thanks
    I wish I had the books I studied to let you know what I studied with in college. You want to start out with "classic" music theory, which they refer to like western music theory or something I dont remember. The book I had analyzed each chord in a scale and how and when to use them. There's also a numeral chord chart showing you which chords go well with what. The classical music theory stuff is the foundation. Once you're done with that, I would highly recommend looking into jazz theory, which gets crazy. This is where you learn how to expand on the classical music theory with even more colorful chords and how to break the rules. It's insane. I have a few books on it, but I would recommend the Jazz Theory Book by Adam Devine. This is only after you understand classical theory very well though. If I find out the beginning music theory books, I will let you know.

Thanks
    Honestly the basics are super easy to understand when you have if explained to you the right way, I'll try to find some of the resources I used to learn and post them soon

Thanks
    Look up Michael New on youtube, he currently has 36 videos on music theory and has them organized in a neat playlist to binge-watch!

Thanks
    There's a cheat sheet guide called "Music Theory for Electronic Producers - ON ONE PAGE." I picked it up on Etsy for £7 and I refer to it constantly. It's a good way to use concepts that aren't yet imprinted into your memory.

Thanks
    Learn basic ear training (specifically interval training). Then, sit back and listen to music. Every time you listen to music, take note of the interval changes in your head. Try to recreate later (midi keyboard or anything). I promise you, after a week, you'll be infinitely better than when you started.

•Producer• Engineer • Artist

www.soundcloud.com/hamstank

Thanks
    listen to your favourite tracks and try and see how one section moves to another. this'll help you make a more complete song once you listen to it enough.

Thanks
    Keep a droid specifically for pdfs & apps related to music theory [ebook/media consumption device]

Thread Information