Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to really improve my music theory?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    IMHO, the best way to learn music theory is via its application on an instrument. Reading and watching videos about music theory does not mean that a person knows how to effectively apply the given principles in interesting and creative ways.

My advice is to study an instrument with a competent instructor who incorporates applied music theory within a student's learning experience, such as a Jazz professor or a professional gigging musician with a track record of progressing students to an advance level of musicianship. The said music instructors will usually focus more on music theory throughout a student's development. Just be sure to clearly state your goals to the music instructor before taking lessons so a path for progression can be put in action.

Unfortunately, outside of classical music education, effective music teachers are difficult to find and/or not cheap for music students in a non-college learning environment. The typical music teacher, at Guitar Center and other common locations, rarely, if ever, progress a student beyond the late beginner/early intermediate stages of development, which typically only cover rudimentary music theory.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by TedH03; 04-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Learn fundamentals, what genre you want to write a song? Find articles, books, anything. Listen to your favorite songs & practice on the instrument you like.

Thanks
    I have been learning to produce music for about 2-3 years now. I studied music back in school but didn't touch it through university. I've got to grips with my DAW and have been making tracks for a while. However, this year I'm really looking to focus on learning the piano and all of the scales, chord progressions, etc. associated with it, so I can just sit down at a piano for a couple of hours and create all of the main chords, melodies, etc. to make a track. I've got dyslexia and I'm pretty terrible at reading large text books so I've been thinking of ways to help me remember various things. I was wondering, do you have a keyboard or piano you can practice on? Recently I've been learning different key signatures playing certain loops (e.g. a guitar loop in G-sharp minor) continuously in my DAW, whilst simultaneously playing around on my keyboard until I find all of the notes that fit with that key. Last night I played around with different chord patterns in that key, made a 'make shift' structure for a three minute track, then played loads of different melodies and bass lines to fit with it. Now I have a large part of a track completed, and all of the notes in G-sharp minor are cemented in my brain. Worked a treat.

Hopefully that all made sense and helps you out! I've still got a lot to learn myself but things like this have really started to help me improve my musical ability. I have some other tips/techniques if you want, just send me a message on Soundcloud.

Thanks
    I suggest learning all major and minor scales. Chords come afterwards.
    And knowing sheet will help also.

Thanks
    I know that feel! I play bit guitar and make beats for a few years now and always hated i don't know where is the next chord or next note is when in my head i knew already how it should sound.

Now i started to take cassical piano lessons, told her to make sure we cover the theory well along with learning to play right.
    She already made me write a sheet and we do ear training etc.
    I actually used to learn the scales i need for my beats before i got my push with scale mode Damn you ableton!!
    Playing with push is fun but i noticed i play different when my fingers are on the keys.

Investing in musicianship and develop a skill to play music is never wrong, and fun too. I also think my fingerdrumming skills will benefit from my piano lessons too

Thanks
    Hi, I specialize mainly in chords and progressions. My site not only has a bunch colorful chord progression in WAV and MIDI but there are PDF charts too.
    The charts help you to find what chords and possibilities exist from any key.
    I use do videos to explain easy trick on how to find chords, on the keyboard.

Thread Information