how to practice composing

046oh

what are good ways to practice making music?
some ideas I had are

- reproduce music I like
- come up with chord progressions that express a certain mood

how did you guys practice and were they effective?

Just do it. A lot. After you do it, listen to historically important musicians, as well as your favorites for more ideas, then do those. Then do all of this for years and years.

You can also try the good ol' "write one song a day for x amount of days". I've heard that works pretty well.

Something that Mozart (yes, Mozart) did was giving himself a quota....The more music you make the better you get. Set a goal for yourself to make 4 beats a week or something.

Another thing to try is to re-create a song but in a COMPLETELY different style.

actually not Mozart but his father set the quota. In his later years, being a creature of habit (a sort of 18th century Sheldon Cooper if you will), he continued with the routine as he could not not do it......

quotas are good but some criteria are needed to make sure that it is good material being made

a) Write some lyrics
b) Write some melody
c) Write some Chords

Than think of what it represents to you and how does it make you feel.
Try to organize the idea and find the best output for it.

Work on what you don't have (If you have melodie and chords, work on lyrics etc.) while focused on idea.

thanks for the advices and sorry for the late reply

i decided to go with the quota method so i opened a 30-day loop challenge thread.

The very moment inspiration hits you, act on it immediately. Write down your idea, sing your melody into your phone, but its important to act fast. Ideas re-visited are rarely as good as the inception.

Back