How to obtain acapellas

O

Omega-X

I've recently decided that I would like to start remixing some stuff..I have all the tools to work with, but I'm left with only one problem...I don't know how to extract the acapellas from a song. I don't believe they make a program that does this, but I do know that some people that don't have access to the master tapes can do this, I was just wondering if any one out there knows how, or where I could download a few hip-hop/rap acapella, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You could try to filter all the non-voice frequencies away with a bandpass filter. It will depend a lot on the song in question if you're gonna get good results or not. In a part of the song with bass and few drums only with a voice over it, it should be possible quite good. It will never be perfect, don't forget that.
If you don't have a bandpassfilter: a parametric eq or a regular 31-band eq can help you also quite good.
When you 'isolated' the voice as good as possible, you will always still hear some of the rest of the song softly in the back. When placing the isolated voicesample over a new song, this background 'noise' won't be noticed that hard.
Success!

Back