How much do yall use chords?

ThaBeastman

AKA Bro Morte
Usually when I make a beat, il just play around with the keys till I find something that is nice, but recently ive been trying to play chords(i got a big list of chords off the net)constantly, im just wondering how you people use them? Are you making songs only in chords, a mix of chords and other keys or just like me, trying to figure out the best sounds by ear.

well, i use chords, but i know a lot of chords, if you figure out what scale your going to play in, then chord placement is a lot easier, its all theory, learn a little, you dont have to know everything about music theory, despite what others on here will tell you, just learn enough to get by, and the rest will come naturally

Cool man I'll try that....do you use chords with every instrument generally?
Cause I find that piano is amazing for chords(obviously) but synths, brass/woodwind/ethnics and esp bass just sound off to me if i play chords with them.

it depends, certain synths with chords dont sound right a lot of times, frequencys are wrong, but yea cords can work with brass, woodwinds and strings, bass is usually not played in chords

I've been using them more often as I'm getting more familiar with classical song structure and my key signatures. I find for me it's gotten easier to put something together quickly when I know what I'm working with when I go into making a song.

I'll often take them out. I am not keen on sustained chords in my music because of the nature of it and the way it mellows things out. But I often compose the instruments over a chord progression which is the foundation of the musical idea. I then remove the chords and I'm left with the feeling of chords in the instruments, in a kind of juxtaposed way - which I prefer.

There's a lot more to just playing clusters of chords on a single instrument, sometimes in can just be too dense and using other isntrument parts in harmony over other instrument parts, or counterpoint is usually far more interesting to me because I do not wish to sound too 'song - like'.

Back