How are melodie notes decided from chords?

B

BeatsquadPro

When I listen to tracks i can hear the chords and the movement but not all the notes from the melodies are from those exact chords. for instance Jason Derulo - Marry Me is in G (Maj?) and rarely it plays the exact chord notes. Its G D Em and C. but a) not all the chords are same as in the block chords and b) not all the notes of the melody even tho they sound good follow the notes used in the progression. any tips would be appreciated:-) no smart ass comments. it doesnt help me learn:-)

Now this question I can help you with.

The simplest way to explain it is:
1) Use notes from the scale of the key (G major)
2) Start and finish each 'phrase' on notes belonging to the chord that's currently playing.
3) Move only one step of the scale up or down at a time, and if you want to leap, leap from one chord note to another chord note.

There is more to it than that, but that is the basics...

an alternative view

melodies are based on three contrasting ideas
  1. consonance (chords tones are used)
  2. dissonance (non-chord tones are used)
  3. repetition, either through
    1. exact or tonal (scale based) repeating of whole phrases, or
    2. simply repeating a single note

in none of the literature (except perhaps that of strict species counterpoint) is there an adjuration (an imposition of a rule) that says a phrase should start or end on a chord tone

in addition it is likely that in any melody that the following movement "rules" hold true

stay on the same note 50%
move up or down by a step (scale or otherwise) 20%
move up or down by a 3rd (scale or otherwise) 20%
move up or down by a larger interval 10%

now to whether we should use chord tone or non-chord tones in our melodies:

chord tones in a melody are points of rest, of pausing, of resolution
non-chord tones are points of movement, of wandering, seeking resolution

creating a "good" melody is achieving a balance between all of the above

This is a basic music theory question. You should hire a teacher, (I'd suggest a piano teacher) as that would teach you the fundamentals! Good luck my friend!

The most important thing though is to be patient. I know it's exciting to learn but make sure you understand it willl take time to learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back