How to match different instrumental elements with each other

k1n

Hello, so i want to learn how to produce music.

I learned the basics of mastering my producing software and was recently able to create a beat, with a drumkid that i like. When i then tried to add a guitar to the track, i got stuck on making the two sound elements match with each other. They sound good alone but dont harmonize with each other.

Are there some tricks or things to look after so that the instruments/elements sound good together/can be combined?

The number 1 rule for combining instruments is that they have to compliment each other. Two instruments that sound the same or are live in the same frequency range will most likely clash with each other. For example, look for one instrument that has a faster attack and high frequency range, then select the 2nd instrument with a lower attack and low frequency range. I would also try panning each instrument to one side if you find that they still don't work together.

Hope that helps.

Best way to answer your problem would be if you could post a screenshot from both of the instruments' piano roll sections. This way we could check if you're just off-key or doing something really weird that you're no aware of. I don't believe it's a mixing related issue since you're a beginner.

Easy way to check if you're doing something wrong in the piano roll with the notes and chords. Choose one of the instruments, copy the exact notes to another instrument and they should be playing the exact same melody now. How does it turn out and don't mind about clashing since it's a raw non-mixed production, maybe lower the volumes though, to gain balance.

Last edited:
Back