How many layers to add? for high energy

jpixels

Like my other post with the beat, i always feel my productions are good, but lack something to make them more energetic...at the same time I like things minimal, and don't want to drown the beat with 6 layers of synths...

I use, the drums, the bass, a sample, overlaying synth, maybe another counter melody and some 'pops and clicks' aswell as like intro/outro/breakdown etc...

how many layers do you use and what are they?

you seem to be asking a different question in your thread title than you are in the actual question:

1. How many layers do you use for high energy?

Answer: energy does not necessarily come from the number if layers you use. It comes from the performance, the recording method, the production, etc. One song can have huge energy from just one sound and another song can have huge energy from 100 layers... You can also have low energy from 1 lyer and low energy from 100 layers... It all depends on how you put the song together and what you re going for.

2. How many layers do you use and what are they?

Answer: it is different from song to song.

I find percussion gives energy to the track, especially hi-hats

noblewordz said:
No matter what question is asked on FP someone replys with compressor.

If you find that you're 'drowning the beat' with synths then maybe you need to EQ your synths and drum sounds more carefully so there's enough space in your mix for all of the separate parts rather than worrying about compression...

In terms of energy, try making your percussion more driving by pushing certain hits forwards by a few ms to give a sense of speed.

Last edited:
jpixels said:

Music is like an onion. Many different layers. You need to add 5 layers to make good music. 4 layers is for amateurs and 6 is for wankers who are trying to show off.......damn those people annoy me. The layers have specific names, they are:

Joe
Mary Sue
Richard (Dick for short)
Alice
Rover

Hope this helps.

WhiteHotPro said:
I find percussion gives energy to the track, especially hi-hats

This. I use percussions like hell. Bongo's, Lo-Toms (my favorites), Hi-Hats, Rides and so one.

Just let the drums slide and the rest of the percussions add extra elements.

jpixels said:
Like my other post with the beat, i always feel my productions are good, but lack something to make them more energetic...at the same time I like things minimal, and don't want to drown the beat with 6 layers of synths...

I use, the drums, the bass, a sample, overlaying synth, maybe another counter melody and some 'pops and clicks' aswell as like intro/outro/breakdown etc...

I think I know what you may be trying to say.
Are you refurring to stuff that has large crecendos (that "big" sound, I'm really bad at explainging it as well.)?

Like for example,

The Go! Team - Everyones a VIP to Someone
Røyksopp - What else is there?
M83 - Teen Angst, Don't save us from the flames.

Back