how many bars in a standard 2 verse rap song?

J

Jersey8five6

how many bars are in a 2 verse rap song. i'm thinkin 24, but if its different, let me know. (let me know if u agree too)

Jersey8five6 said:
how many bars are in a 2 verse rap song. i'm thinkin 24, but if its different, let me know. (let me know if u agree too)

Its no set answer to this question...several ways it could end up to be honest

usually a verse is 16 bars and a chorus is 8 bars and intros are anywhere from 4 thru 8 bars and outros 4-8 bars and you might consider a bridge which could be anything from 4-8 bars...

yea, the reason i'm not doin 3 16's is because sometimes its just more appropriate to only have two verses that are longer than 16. but then i think 32 might be too long. that's why i was guessin 24.

the beat i'm workin on is gonna kinda be like Prodigy's Keep it Thoro where there is no real Chorus, but more of a breakdown between verses.

i think i'm just gonna go with the 24 bar verses.

I don't get how when you are writing hip-hop lines (verses) they match the length of the bars in a certain way, so you don't write the verse too long or too short?????????

chilla2 said:
^WOW
16 bars per verse
8 bars per chorus

16x2=32
8x(however many choruses you gonna have)

yea i no that, but thats the most basic way, more geared for radio. there's more than one way to set up a song.

rando said:
I don't get how when you are writing hip-hop lines (verses) they match the length of the bars in a certain way, so you don't write the verse too long or too short?????????

yea but 24 is still a multiple of 8.

16*1.5=24

that way u'r rhymes not stoppin in the middle of nowhere

Last edited by a moderator:
rando said:
tempo mabey

Man, it's not about "counting" on a song, bruh...you count in your head while your recording vocals to see how long it should be...then that where your hook or chorus go...

u gotta have an ear for music bruh...like Eric Clapton said "you have to listen and listen and listen to music to become acquaited...then you make a statement"

Like they said before me, a verse is usually 16 bars but thats for 3 verses. So if you choose to do a 2 verse song, make them either 20 or 24 bars. I usually do 20. An 8 bars intro, 20bar verse (2) and an 8 bars chorus (2) would give you a song that is about 3:15.

honestly, theres no EXACT way of planing out the bars. The standard is 16 bars per verse. Theres many reason's why its 16 bars. Mainly becasue the song itself sounds very equal and not out of count, and the beat itself is out of 4-16th of the sequence. So basically, i woudl just stick to doing the 16 bars per verse.

very simple map to fallow: Intro=4-8 bars, 1st Verse=16 bars, chorus or hook=8 bars, 2nd verse=16 bars, and outros are 8 bars if the song has a proper ending or 8-16 bars if you plan to fade out.

Theres no exact way to do it but this is just the main standard. I admit to having 16 bar intros but its always nice to ground the limits.

a lot of people get bored with it if you go above 16. But even 16's pretty high. I'd say go @ like 12-14 bars a verse and 6-8 bar chorus, and like a 8-12 bar intro + 8/16 bar outro. (with beat just looping while fading master down to 0)

is it a freeverse you're doing it for or a "standard".
16 bars is roughly 50 seconds so it may be very short.
i mix it up between 16 bars and 32.

The standard is 16bars for the verse and 8bars for the chorus. That is standard only though. When you hear rappers asking for features what do they say? They say, "Im trying to get another 16 on my song." There are 8's, 16's, 24's and everything above and in between. Honestly, it's just the preference of the artist. Like I know one guy who doesn't like having 3 verses on his song; he seems to like two for some reason. It's music just feel it and dont become limited by too many rules. Stick to what feels right for you or the client :)

Back