How to make a trap arp

Star27

I have a trap beat that is ready to add an arp in it, but arp is one of my weakest productions. Are arp basically just a sine with ping pong delays? Of course you can use different instruments but the most common form I've heard are sine lead.

I have a wav sample from Lewvi pack that has an arp in it but I can't use it as a sample. I work in FL and it doesn't let me change the key of the sample and I can't time it correct to the tempo of my song. Therefore I'd prefer to create one myself. Any ideas?

Here is an example of the arp i'm talking about starting in the intro. It's played behind the Orchestra brass hits.

Don't really wanna post this video but it's the only one I heard that has an arp in it. lol. I can't remember the other ones for now.

Last edited:
Does fl studio not have an arpegiator? If not you can either play it in a keyboard or click the notes in to sound like one using a a synth or instrument sampler. There's probably some free arpegiator plugins out there.

you missed the point it is not the sequencing of the notes to be played (which is what the arpeggiator does) but the sound design of the actual sound used to play them

as for the sound it is nothing special and sounds more like a filtered saw wave than a sine wave

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to program an arpeggiator? Or how I would go about making a custom arp patch to give it a good melody for a hip hop/trap beat? I would like to know more about the arpeggiator including the best way to play them. I've tried playing in triad chords but it doesn't sound good. I have a basic concept of the mechanics of an arpeggiator. I'd just like to know what makes them sound so catchy and drive a song and what can I do to make some good custom arps? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how to program an arpeggiator? Or how I would go about making a custom arp patch to give it a good melody for a hip hop/trap beat? I would like to know more about the arpeggiator including the best way to play them. I've tried playing in triad chords but it doesn't sound good. I have a basic concept of the mechanics of an arpeggiator. I'd just like to know what makes them sound so catchy and drive a song and what can I do to make some good custom arps? Thanks in advance.

an arpeggiator takes a set of notes and then plays them in sequence depending on what setting is chosen.

Depending on your arpeggiator, you can select rising, falling, rise and fall, random.

You can set the base rhythmic unit to any value, you can tempo sync, you can set it to allow for duplicate notes and to force said duplicate notes to be held/sustained to create pseudo rhythmic patterns

Trial and error my friend. Just start messing with that arp u found. If not, youtube is best for learning... Unless reading is the best way for you to learn.

I know this thread's already been answered, but in FL, I find the best arpeggiator to be the piano roll in the sense that you I get the most flexibility that way. Just plug notes in, duplicate and drag those over, adjust those notes if necessary, repeat, maybe add delay, etc. It's really a lot of fun arping that way.

Thanks bandcoach. Love your posts. I loaded up a soundfont player in FL and started messing with the arpeggiator and found the sound I'm looking for. It's really simple and I love the slide effect. It was basically trial and error. I have no clue what I was doing. I just picked the direction of the sequence (up or down or both) then I picked a chord setting (or scale) then just messed with the time and turned on the slide on and bingo.

Back