How to make this track better?

Can you elaborate on what kind of sound/beat you're aiming for? Sounds like you haven't been making music for long, but the first thing you should do is look for better sound quality. Try to deviate away from stock sounds/drums, unless you really know how to tweak them to sound dope.

As far as making the beat sound less empty, you just have to experiment. There's not a specific way you can tell someone else how to make their own music, but try messing with basslines, strings, brass, synths, if you're trying to do club music. It all depends on what sound you're looking for.

Use a better note progression for your lead synth. Just two notes is boring and repetitive. EQ the high Hz out of that bass, it sounds horrible. Variate your high hats more.

you need to bring out the lead synth more, and make a real chord progression or melody, and some kind of melodic counterpoint

also, a variation in the kicks and hats to give it some more groove

on a side note, does this look like it's worth investing time into: Dark Strings by l3lackjax on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I can tell both you and the guy who started this thread are brand new to the game. So here are a couple of simple rules to follow.

1. Don't post material that is nowhere near complete. 30 seconds of a couple of samples is not enough to evaluate off of. Minus some exceptions of course.
2. You guys need to use better samples because the ones you're using are no way near strong enough.
3. Study your genre. See what is currently being done and mimic it in your own fashion.
4. If anybody else has tips for these guys then please share.

I can tell both you and the guy who started this thread are brand new to the game. So here are a couple of simple rules to follow.

1. Don't post material that is nowhere near complete. 30 seconds of a couple of samples is not enough to evaluate off of. Minus some exceptions of course.
2. You guys need to use better samples because the ones you're using are no way near strong enough.
3. Study your genre. See what is currently being done and mimic it in your own fashion.
4. If anybody else has tips for these guys then please share.

Yeah about the drums and instruments, I didn't layer them like I usually would. But everything else, yeah, I agree. I cant seem to get out of this stage of basic shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah about the drums and instruments, I didn't layer them like I usually would. But everything else, yeah, I agree. I cant seem to get out of this stage of basic shit.

you sound disappointed and/or discouraged. we've all been there so listen. when making music you shouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel. just cog it a bit. basic is really good if you just use the right samples or if you are good at EQing, sound designing, layering, etc. it can be quite a challenge to make an edgy record sound simple man. and the simplicities is what you want to bring out in a mix because simple is more friendly to common listeners. so the way to make basic/simple sound brilliant is to study your favorites who are currently making chart topping music. but lets not forget that they have professional mixing and mastering engineers in their corner as well.

you sound disappointed and/or discouraged. we've all been there so listen. when making music you shouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel. just cog it a bit. basic is really good if you just use the right samples or if you are good at EQing, sound designing, layering, etc. it can be quite a challenge to make an edgy record sound simple man. and the simplicities is what you want to bring out in a mix because simple is more friendly to common listeners. so the way to make basic/simple sound brilliant is to study your favorites who are currently making chart topping music. but lets not forget that they have professional mixing and mastering engineers in their corner as well.

The thing is, the people I like aren't making chart topping music. I'm more of an underground music guy, I don't tend to listen to that many mainstream chart topping songs because I have a very niche style of music I like. Almost all of it sounds aggressive. Some of the artists I like are Hollywood Undead, Deuce, the whole Shady/Aftermath roster, Skillet, Linkin Park, Chamillionaire, Richy Nix, Fort Minor, etc etc etc. That's not to say I don't want to make chart topping music but I would do in a similar fashion to Eminem in his prime if I ever got that far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, make your harmony longer than four beats per measure. Try extending it to 2 measures so that it doesn't get too boring. Also, variation doesn't have to just be about the drums. I would also make the your harmony vary, like make the next two bars the same as the previous, but with a subtle yet perceivable variation. You don't want your tracks to sound like 1 bar looped over and over again.

The thing is, the people I like aren't making chart topping music. I'm more of an underground music guy, I don't tend to listen to that many mainstream chart topping songs because I have a very niche style of music I like. Almost all of it sounds aggressive. Some of the artists I like are Hollywood Undead, Deuce, the whole Shady/Aftermath roster, Skillet, Linkin Park, Chamillionaire, Richy Nix, Fort Minor, etc etc etc. That's not to say I don't want to make chart topping music but I would do in a similar fashion to Eminem in his prime if I ever got that far.

shoot that's cool. just because a person isn't current or popular doesn't mean you can't learn from them. i even got helpful tips from newbies on new stuff that has come out. anyways what i'm saying is just learn from your favorites or whoever out there inspires you so that you may come up with your own style. its one of the best ways to get practice.

Back