how to make studio like vocals?

same as any other daw

Record and record again until you get it right

then process as needs be

this is the secret sauce to recording anything professionally - it is not so much in the technique of mic placement or which mic but in performing the part correctly, in time and in pitch

as with any creative project there are at least 3 phases (I've added phase 4)
pre-production, where you plan and rehearse what you will record
production, where you record what you have planned and rehearsed
post-production, where you mix what you have recorded and add sweeteners and other features to your tracks
publishing, documentation and distribution: where you move the product or the project as well as diarise the process (this last one should be ongoing really)

Last edited:
You can also comp a vocal. I would say all vocals you hear in a commercial recording have been commped in some way. So have the artist do 3 to 5 takes and then cut and paste until you get the desired vocal. Of course you will have to process the vocal once its put together.

Things I like to do to really make my vocals sound clean, sharp, and professional is the following:

Layer several takes of the same line. Adjust these layers and line em up as perfect as you can. It'll sound like 3 or 4 of you are singing if you don't change the volume of the tracks, which sounds good, but adjust volume of each take until you get your disired taste.

Eq-simple

Stereo widener- Nearly all mainstream commercial songs vocals are panned out to the sides. Try to make your vocals wider by using a mono/stereo vst plugin. This is probably the most important step for me at least.

Reverb- simple; don't over do it.

Delay- not necessary, but desired effect and taste.

Hope this helps ^~^!

Back