How to make this sound?/Is it possible?

timiop2011

I really like the brassy synth sounds in Crush by Jai Paul (you can google: 73321008, and listen to it on vimeo)
From what I can hear, there is two types of synth hit, the short ones at the start which come in at 17 seconds, and then the (very similar) extended ones that begin behind the chorus at 1:18.

I tried to make this synth sound last year, but eventually gave up and now want to give it another go. From what I remember, the closest I got last time was by manipulating brass presets in a number of VSTs (The Arturia Prophet-V2 VST and the free Synth1 VST). I've since however purchased the OP-X Pro-II by Sonicprojects which is absolutely brilliant for emulating 80s synth sounds. To me, it sounds like some sort of 80s style synth brass patch with very low attack, chorus and several effects - some kind of warm crunch, and perhaps some kind of delayed vibrato/pitch change.

I posted this same post on KVR a few weeks ago, but no one replied - I'm not surprised at this at all to be honest, as it does sounds like a very complex sound to make. Nonetheless, any help on how to achieve a similar sound would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been doing some serious internet trawling to see if I can find anything to help make this.Just spent hours trawling through all 841 pages of the Jai Paul thread at 'kanyetothe' but didn't find anything production related/useful until page 839!!! where someone put "The synth he uses is just a typical fake brass synth that's been used on hundreds of songs since the 80's. It sounds like he's using a hardware synth rather than a softsynth vst based on how warm the tone is (who knows though) but the only thing he's doing is being very careful and particular in how he uses the mod wheel which triggers an LFO modulating the pitch of the oscillators on the synth. That's what gives it the warpy, bouncy kind of sound."

I also found a useful thread at gearslutz where someone said he just uses a common '80s style synth brass but with slightly delayed vibrato.

Personally, I think the way to achieve the sound might be: a specific 80s style synth brass e.g. a prophet 5 brass emulation, add chorus, careful LFO assigned modwheel use to create a wobble/delayed vibrato, a very slight distortion and/or compression to give a very slight crunch, and a 12db lowpass filter.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I'd agree with the second thread at gs: it sounds like aftertouch controlled vibrato rather than mod wheel wheel making it entirely dependent on pressure control provided by pushing down hard on the keys - this suggests it is definitely a hardware synth as this is very hard to mimic in sw alone

and yes a typical polykorg brass patch

Back