How to make this rhythm?

Yux

I know it's like a trick of the trade kind of secret,
but please...

How do you do it!!!

This rhytm:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoS8Cw9NmcY" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><a data-cke-saved-href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoS8Cw9NmcY" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoS8Cw9NmcY"></a>

But... a Big But,

I want to do as much as possible in MIDI

Last edited:
You mean the drum beat? Start with something like the "Amen Break," and double the tempo. Make everything else in half-time, comparitively (so if the BPM of your sped-up drum groove is 240, the other parts will be juxtaposed at 120 or even 60 BPM).

GJ

I get your point, and know what you are saying. Thanks for that.
But that's not really what I mean.

I need to know how to play the rhythm, so I can program my drummodule and switch drum kits.

Somehow I could never get the beat right.
There are a lot of tutorials how to make an Amen-like beat. You can even find drum sheets from Funky Drummer by James, but I feel there is something missing.
I was hoping someone here can help me out for real this time.
I wish there was some kind of lecture on the Internet on creating these types of rhythms.

I got a SoundCloud and you will find something ain't right.
Except from some vocals I played all the music myself. Mostly using midi instruments but I do own a guitar.
I don't sample others. Never. I only use voices to test how the music fills it up.
And that is why I need to program my own rhythms.

Check my SoundCloud :

https://soundcloud.com/w6h6gjqbmzji

Last edited:
Why can't you just copy what you hear right now?

Post the closest you can get and we'll see if we can point out which drums are playing at the wrong time

Cool. I am busy in the kitchen right now, but within like 30 minutes I can be in my own 'kitchen' and will try to make something in my studio

Oops, started playing again and forget to work.
Never the less...

Here you go

------------

the MIDI event list

event list - blue 4 u.png

------------

the MIDI piano roll

piano roll - blue 4 u.png

------------

the mp3 of me on basic MIDI, no effects were added

[MP3]View attachment Cakewalk TTS-1 1 ch 10 Stereo Bounced 176 bpm.mp3[/MP3]
View attachment Cakewalk TTS-1 1 ch 10 Stereo Bounced 176 bpm.mp3
------------

a quick sample of the same loop

[MP3]View attachment Big Bud - Blue 4 U bounced, same loop.mp3[/MP3]
View attachment Big Bud - Blue 4 U bounced, same loop.mp3

Last edited:
Easiest way I can convey it...

image.jpg

16th note repeating tambourine pattern on top of the hi-hat 8th notes.

240+ BPM (?), repeat ad infinitum...

GJ

Last edited:
You are close. I'm not sure where exactly you're placing that 16th, but that's where it's off.

GJ

PS-- Looking at the piano roll, you've got way too many bass drum and snare hits on the second half, and maybe your velocity/dynamics are off (where you trying to "ghost" those notes?), so it's muddying up. Try some crisper drum sounds, and if you can read or breakdown what I posted, I think that will do it for you.

Last edited:
If you can open the midi file (I had to sneak it in and make it look like a mp3), you see I didn't, yet.
Will try it in a few minutes.

For the ghost snares I used triplets.
But I never tried it like this before.
It sounds pretty okay, not too far off.
Damn, I really wanna try that 16th tambourine. ...
Taking a dump on the toilet at the moment.
The wonderful world of wifi phones...

Thanks GL ,

J.L.

Last edited:
sure I can read it.
But if you listen to the sample (taken from about 43 seconds into the track) there is more going on with the snares.
That is what I want to have too.
A roll on the snare, which I did try here with notes on .360 and .720 (triplets).
And muddy... it's all just midi, those sounds are fixable, timing is my aim here.
I do own a drummodule by Roland, a pretty good one. TD-6V.
Got the kit as well, but haven't touched it in years.

Gonna try that 16th trick of yours

I fooled around with it some, did not change the Cakewalk TTS1 drum sound, but did placed the 16th tamborines.
That was a good fix.

After that I did some chopping in Sonar X2, dubbed the tracks and added some effect and such.

You hear it on SoundCloud if you like.

Last edited:
You're right, I left out a 16th note in-between the "and" of 2 and beat 3 in both measures. Other than that it's on. I think any other ghosting you are hearing is tambourine/hh interplay.

Anyway, congrats on completing it.

GJ

i felt like rhythmgj's initial response was the right answer, without having someone or a plugin do it for you. I mean, once you chop up that drum break, it would be pretty simple to replicate (mostly) what's going on in that beat...it's really just a matter of rearranging the splices/slices/cuts.

an option for the easy way (kind of a cheat) in the future could be to extract the percussion midi from the track then apply it to your drums, then fine tune. i'd still prefer option #1, you learn how to do it yourself that way.

Last edited:
Kinda funny

I loved Children of Sanzes (Live at The Hllywoodbowl version)
[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Children+of+Sanzes+(Live+at+The+Hllywoodbowl&&view=detail&mid=B25F220F1C166FD6F620B25F220F1C166FD6F620&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]
this ain't the 1977, but it's close,

I wanted to learn to play the drums.
I bought a TAMA and some sweet Zildjian's.
I also bought a JVC camcorder to see how I was playing.
I found that the sound recorded was terrible.
So I bought a Roland TD6V.
They suck for playing real music, tonal dynamics are undoable.
SO find myself owning some nice gear and I wanted to record it.

Damn ground noise...
Finally discovered the expander, so now I can record without any ground noise.
But playing moved to programming due a lot of things. The lack of space is one of them.
Still, those snare rolls... it's mechanic or fx's. Not played. And the Amen break sucks if you ask me.
I do love Bob James though. My parents loved it, and all I ever heared as a kid was Bob James, Earl Klugh and Chuck Mangione.
Those guys know music.

But I just want to know the formula. There is one for every kind of music. I want to use MIDI so I can switch between drumkits in real time, still playing back a midisequence at 168 bpm.

Last edited:
Im not sure what you mean by "formula" i mean, that drum break that is on that song, i know with like 10min of practice i could nail by playing on any sampler or controller...keyboards or pads. Amen break sucks to people because it was used to death. It's still a good break, but only when people do something fresh with it...which kind of makes me wonder why you are so fascinated with this chopped version of it. It's almost identical to the amen break and 100s of other DNB songs, even with the rest that it has in the pattern.

Cut up that break, then play it at half time or 1/3 time for a couple minutes, then steadily increase your speed as you practice. that break is not that complicated, its a short loop. Whether it was programmed or played, I guarantee MANY people can easily play that on a sampler or controller. It would also be very easy to program.

I think alot of what you might be seeking is in the way the actual amen break is cut into pieces. then processed. it will have more groove than a straight up midi track with drums unless you alter it with swing or play it with groove and not quantize it.

I would personally use the actual amen break at first but you gotta understand that you will not have the same results/sound with a kit that is not a live break once you change it over. It will have less of a pleasing sound (in my opinion) but you could cut up several other live breaks and it would prob sound good or you can look into layering.

Last edited:
I think I lost track the moment I heard Logical Progression for the first time. At the time I had some friends from the UK. And they had something different they said. I became a dedicated fan right away.
Especially the jazzy tunes and the style of MC Conrad was the perfect combination for me. And just like An Evening of Magic Live at the Hollywood Bowl, I wanted to play it too by myself.

Yesterday I made a beginning of a kinda okay track using FL Mobile. Today I gave it some more variation and added a saxophone. I am still working on it, need to ballance to volume some more, buts pretty Good Looking. My aim this time is to use only vanilla content that comes with the app.

You can taste it, if you like.

If I posted this on this forum last night, sorry for that.

But I have to do some housekeyPing 4now .

Happy jamming

Last edited:
Back