How to make my songs not sound bland/boring?

L

l3lackjax

Listen to this: ht tp://soundcloud .com /l3lackjax/wip-trap-beat (under 20 posts atm, just remove the spaces and paste it in your browser)

How can I make it not sound so bland/boring, aside from the obvious(making it not so repetitive, adding more instruments)? Maybe it's just my ears getting used to it. What do you think?

aside from the obvious

....I'd start with the tempo. Then the dynamics. Maybe even naming it, instead of limiting it by naming a genre/subgenre? Just uh thought. Then the drum programming. Then sequencing, which is obvious, yet it obviously lacks. Ta me there's uh thin line between being repetitive & not so repetitive. Same thing goes for the comment on adding more instruments. There's uh thin line between the beat being too empty & too full. You could try coming up with a better idea from the start. I must say, this sounds like the most boring trap beat I've ever heard. Lol it isn't just one thing that makes this beat boring, it's multiple. If I were you I'd study up on composing/theory; musical phrases, mixing, dynamics, & alot of the basics as well. Everything is so obvious, yet few are doing it. Everyone can tell you how to be successful, but few can achieve success. I'm not tryna just come at yo beat, or yo grammar, I just hope you realize the importance behind what I'm saying. If not,.. Fuk it. Lol :p

where are you getting your sounds from because your sounds that your using are boring and you should speed the tempo up some. Your drums are off im not sure about the kicks cuz im listening through laptop speakers but the snare was just off. heres 2 trap beats i did just to kinda give you a example what to work towards.

It's your synths that are boring. A single synth by itself is almost always going to be boring, unless you're working with something that has around six operators/oscillators. You either need to buy some better equipment, or learn how to layer your synths to make them sound more powerful.

Modulation.
People will not listen to something that is boring and EXTREMELY repetative
It took me a while to learn how to propperly incorperate this into my mixes but once you understand how to create more movement and changes in your songs then you mixes will sound 100% better
Learn how to use LFOs with your synths
Learn how to create a variety of precussion patterns to use in your mix (Dont use the generic snare pattern. expand your world, try a new pattern, or use the same pattern with some additions (Maybe add a 1/16 or 1/32 note here and there)
It's a lot of work and dedication as there is SO MUCH to learn.. but once you get the hang of it then making beats will be a simple as walking the dog.

....I'd start with the tempo. Then the dynamics. Maybe even naming it, instead of limiting it by naming a genre/subgenre? Just uh thought. Then the drum programming. Then sequencing, which is obvious, yet it obviously lacks. Ta me there's uh thin line between being repetitive & not so repetitive. Same thing goes for the comment on adding more instruments. There's uh thin line between the beat being too empty & too full. You could try coming up with a better idea from the start. I must say, this sounds like the most boring trap beat I've ever heard. Lol it isn't just one thing that makes this beat boring, it's multiple. If I were you I'd study up on composing/theory; musical phrases, mixing, dynamics, & alot of the basics as well. Everything is so obvious, yet few are doing it. Everyone can tell you how to be successful, but few can achieve success. I'm not tryna just come at yo beat, or yo grammar, I just hope you realize the importance behind what I'm saying. If not,.. Fuk it. Lol :p

In short, this beat is a total redo. I would throw it all out and start back up with a clean slate. You can keep the melody i suppose but everything from the tempo being way too slow like my man here said to the drums must go.

Different drum patterns but following the same basic sound , drop hi hats off n bring them in again at the start of a verse etc use bridges , also modulation like reverb to build up a drop/semi drop , use similar sounds for a melodys and switch between them

I don't understand how songs like Lose Yourself by Eminem aren't repetitive and boring, cause if you look at that song it's just a constant beat that does not change much. How does he do that >.<

The only things he has going are a piano, acoustic guitar, bass, kick, snare, strings on the chorus and the occasional FX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how songs like Lose Yourself by Eminem aren't repetitive and boring, cause if you look at that song it's just a constant beat that does not change much. How does he do that >.<

The only things he has going are a piano, acoustic guitar, bass, kick, snare, strings on the chorus and the occasional FX.

It is boring. Its super boring. The only reason he gets a pass is because he's already made it into the hit maker circle. If you or I were to make that beat and make it a tad bit better it would get no real love because we're not popular. I make some good shit but i don't get acknowledged. Why? Because I'm a nobody.

Edit: from a mixing and arrangment standpoint i'll always hear that i've got a nice and clean mix. But on personal preference they'll say i need to boost the kick up a bit, not feeling the melody, the lead needs layering, the beat sounds too repetitive. All that is opinionated. I heard a beat from a pro named steve aoki called earthquakey people 2. After the track builds there is always a low end boost in the kick. This track didnt have that and it still got love. So why would someone tell me i need to boost my kick's low end? Opinion.

Last edited:
Minimalism is always good if done right. Not every song needs to be layered and processed to ****. The reason why that Eminem song sounds good is because its a matter of knowing what elements are necessary to the composition to achieve the desired effect. Form and function, people.

Minimalism is always good if done right. Not every song needs to be layered and processed to ****. The reason why that Eminem song sounds good is because its a matter of knowing what elements are necessary to the composition to achieve the desired effect. Form and function, people.

I still say its a boring song. There's absolutely nothing exciting about it. Plus his rapping is sub par to. He hasn't been fire to me since his days as a new jack. If you're going to make something sound that one dimensional then it better be fun, uplifting, and/or seriously catchy.

I still say its a boring song. There's absolutely nothing exciting about it. Plus his rapping is sub par to. He hasn't been fire to me since his days as a new jack. If you're going to make something sound that one dimensional then it better be fun, uplifting, and/or seriously catchy.

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the overall song as I don't even like it myself, but commenting on the mechanics and arrangement of the instrumental, and why (for some) it works.

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the overall song as I don't even like it myself, but commenting on the mechanics and arrangement of the instrumental, and why (for some) it works.

oh definitely. i agree with you on all accounts. and it being mixed and mastered by pros is a sure sign of quality. but that's another story.

Back