how to make a marching snare

ay yo i'm new to this thing but i would like to know how to make a marching snare in lmms i'm not sure if this is in the right spot so sorry if it's not. anyway i would love some help. i try not to produce a certain genre. i learned from Rick Rubin that music should not have boundaries. anyway thanks for the help.
future producer of the next big artist ;)
Hip Hops soldier

so, not going to be able to make with any of the built in instruments - they do not have enough scope in their parameters to even become close to achieving a marching snare type sound

best bet is to find some samples or a sample library or maybe a better drum synth vst and use that

aight thanks

also when i try to put VST's in lmms, when i go and copy the vst plugin location thingy and paste it in my library, it says windows can't find that location. any tips on how to get it to work? i use lmms 0.4.15 if it helps.also my brother in law does computer programming, would he be able to write a DAW?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the plugs are looking for a "fit," or the DAW and plug recognize each other. If you look at the VST list of standard DAWs that are supposed to work with most of these plugs (wiki), LMMS is on it, but to be honest, I never heard of it before this post, and I'm fairly savvy with this stuff. Not a Linux user, so maybe that's why, but I'm just wondering if your DAW and your plugs can't "see" each other...

As far as your b-in-l writing a DAW program, you'd have to ask him. Obstacles-- expertise, time, interest. Is there some logical reason you don't want to be a reaper of the benefits of current technology, and try using one of the standard pro tools available already? Not on your sonar as of yet?*

GJ

* Didja see? Didja see what I did there??

te reason i want him to write one is...well idrk

k the only tutorials i can find to put vst's in lmms is for older ones. so ill just make do

what VST would you suggest for a marching snare. i want something almost like in hands held high by linkin park

i don't know whats wrong with this crap i've tried every version of lmms and my computer still can't find the vst plugin directory thingy

Last edited by a moderator:
GJ

* Didja see? Didja see what I did there??

lmms hit my radar early as it was a contender for the high school laptop scheme in NSW back in 2008.....

logic
reason
reaper
pro tools
sonar

you failed to audition a few more did you not? I guess you were able to n arrow down the field a little, but you could have tried to cue base your ideas on a wider range of possibilities

audition
abelton
cubase

Of these I'd suggest reaper as good alternative to lmms that is also free - never-ending working demo and a $60 license if you decide to go legit (release material made with it)

ok. right now i'll just deal with what i got. my friend and i have a band so i'm going to produce for that. i can make pretty good music in lmms. when i make a little money i'll buy a professional program

no, any audio file type works fine, you just need to consider quality vs availability working with 24 bit wav/aiff is preferable to 128kbps mp3 (quality is ca. 12 x better)

Back