how to make hard hittin drums kinda like chris brown kiss kiss song

C

clockwork_101

do anyone kno how to make kick drums hit real hard like real deep dat good feelin type kick drum

I know the way I do and Timbaland. Gap your waveforms, layer your drums, and create your own drums. Don't have all the waveforms clashing, leave gaps.

|kicka|
..|kickb|
.|kickc|
|kickd|
|perca|
|hihata|

Those lines represent the waveforms start lines of different layered drums. This creates a "wave" of energy behind each drum hit. Try it, and get back with me.

Also add other elements, that aren't kicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broken Friday said:
I know the way I do and Timbaland. Gap your waveforms, layer your drums, and create your own drums. Don't have all the waveforms clashing, leave gaps.

|kicka|
..|kickb|
.|kickc|
|kickd|
|perca|
|hihata|

Those lines represent the waveforms start lines of different layered drums. This creates a "wave" of energy behind each drum hit. Try it, and get back with me.

Also add other elements, that aren't kicks.

Or you could just compress it and play with the attack, release and threshold, then eq the kick. :)

But I agree with what Friday said. Layer the drums. My drums are all at least like 3 or 4 different drum sounds.

broken friday that gap you have in those waveforms what they all have different attack what you mean by that? iam using an mpc 1000

Troups right fo sho, but deffinately compression and eq. Heres what i do. I layer, using 3 or 4 kicks as troup said, but then, 1 or 2 of my kicks are simply for the low end bass, and my others are for defintion and sound, like simulating the "hit" of a realsitic drum. Now other types of music like hyphy, you layer different sounds, and some kicks ill layer a low pitched tom, and eq to fit, but troup is right, its about layering, hope this helped some.

I think some people who get into music production think that this should be easy, and just drop one kick and not fine tune or effect or anything.

Last edited:
I agree with J. T.

Something like that, they all just don't start on the same nanosecond. It's like striking something with one huge strike, but you are breaking the strike down, so the target feels it more.

mb24 said:
broken friday that gap you have in those waveforms what they all have different attack what you mean by that? iam using an mpc 1000

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to eq and bring up the volume as much as possible then run the channel to a maximizer to get my drums to kick ill layer sometimes but im not big on layering or compression

Last edited:
I guess I am the only one that like to use a
Waves Trans-X plugin or even better is Sonnox Transient Modulator.
But you need to good samples to start with or it's a waste of time.

LOL.. T-Pain produced the track and this is how he got the drums:

Put on The Neptunes, and jacked the drum kit.

How did the Neptunes make the drums ?

Using a real live drum kit, then having an engineer clean up the loop. Then putting the loop in the ASR-10 and chopping it so youc an program it. Crazy huh?

Here is a tip: a very dry snare was used, low tone. Then it was sped up to make that crisp snap sound.

You sure he jacked the Neptunes?...I coulda swore he just used a Workstation Keyboard. You know those do have most of the Neptunes sounds on them being that the neptunes use workstation keyboards also....but, no, you're probably right. It would be easier to steal a loop from the neptunes, pay an engineer to clean it up, ect. than to make a beat on a Triton and use the hip hop kit.....yeah......

The only reason I know is because I did it myself.

If you want to see how the kit sounds before the neptunes engineer it just sample the kit for yourself, and lower the pitch -5 and it will sound like your normal drum kit (like a lot of rockers use nowadays). When it comes to sampling workstations, it is different sounding (like Clipse - Grindin) that sampled from the Triton.

Chad Hugo used to talk about it in old interviews. The only difference between that Chris Brown kit and Superthug by Noreaga is the bass drum has some changes to it or may be layered with something.

They do what Timbaland did for some of his drums.

I have some of the hardest hitting drums here on FP. No lie.

Well Chris Brown dosen't have any hard hittin drums. Sorry I don't know how to further help you.

unklevers said:
The only reason I know is because I did it myself.

If you want to see how the kit sounds before the neptunes engineer it just sample the kit for yourself, and lower the pitch -5 and it will sound like your normal drum kit (like a lot of rockers use nowadays). When it comes to sampling workstations, it is different sounding (like Clipse - Grindin) that sampled from the Triton.

Chad Hugo used to talk about it in old interviews. The only difference between that Chris Brown kit and Superthug by Noreaga is the bass drum has some changes to it or may be layered with something.

They do what Timbaland did for some of his drums.
You came up with all that on your own? I won't touch it, beleive what you believe.

The drums become hard-hitting during the mixing process. Before this stage they should not be overcompressed, just clean and defined.

What I do is beatbox that motha- kick and make it hard as hell. Anyways...I really REALLY REAAAALLY want the drums (all of them) used for Stronger.

And by the way the snare on the song....it's pretty much a deep south snare (probably one from the 808 pack), pitched up slightly, sped up a little bit (this speaking in terms of FL Studio's "Time Multiplier"), and a little EQing. I know this because I did the exact same thing to a 808 snare and now it sounds nothing like a 808 snare.

Also, if you know what Brasilian batucada is, the snare is crispy like those used in it. For those who don't know what batucada is, search on YouTube for exactly this: "Batucada 09.07.07 - Brazilian Independence Day"

I know all of them and it was a party I was at in September. For those wondering, I'm Brasilian!

Last edited:
i havent heard that song i don't know what he did. But i can tell you what i do to get a QUICK hard kick is just duplicate my kick track, then throw a LPF of 20hz on the duplicate track. So now i have my original kick layered with the same kick that has a LPF on it. Like i said, this is just a quick way to achieve it, not necessarily the best.

Last edited:
Multiplying my kick channels works for me if Im too lazy to layer.
For example you have a 808 kick, set first pattern for 120 VL, next one at 100, then another at 90(i generally duplicate 3 or 4 times doing this). Then I play around with the gain and EQ till it sounds bangin without making the track clip.

Last edited:
Here's how I get my kick to thump more. All I do is cut the length of the kick, maybe pitch it down a little and then turn the level up (sometimes all the way up). It really is as simple as that. If it's still not punchy enuff for you, add a little EQ and compression.

Back