How to make this glitchy stuttery effect

odinnshred

Wireless Wizard!
I think it might be something I've heard of called rhythmic gating. It's in this song at 1:27

youtube . com / watch?v=UlsDmsh5g2I
(close the hyperlink spaces)

Any ideas how I can achieve this effect?

---------- Post added 01-03-2012 at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-31-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

Nobody knows anything at all?? :(

That effect you're looking at is how Skrillex got his sound. I've looked at similar sound creators making sounds like the one you're looking for and they use NI's Massive plug-in. I dunno if that'll steer you in the right direction but if you look up videos on youtube with people who make sounds with Massive you might find that. That sounds definitely dope though.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't catch what you were talking about lol check out DB_Glitch (google it "db glitch vst") I don't know what program you use though.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is a simple sidechain-gate at one of the sounds at some point, but I guess you refer to the 4 different sounds that change in the pattern, thus creating the whole "switching sounds" effect. That's all. Take a couple of sounds, make different melody lines/patterns for them, sample said patterns, then simply use group-muting in your sampler (or if you do that in the arrangement view, simple jump from sound to sound, by muting all, except the one you want to play at that point in the pattern). Or you can pull down the faders of the 3 sounds and just play the 1 you need at that point in the pattern.

^This. The only real "effect" going on there is the sidechain pump; the rest is just triggering samples/synths in the desired order.

Back