How to make Drake type beats?

The best advice I can give to you is to listen to your favorite drake beat, make a replica, and then switch the melodies around to make it your own but still keep that same feel. Or you can just go to youtube and type "how to make a drake type beat" either way should work just fine, the first way would just take more time.

Alot of the beats that Drake raps on have dope change ups as well as alot of filtering. But just as trizzy said, listen to your favorite Drake beat and try to mimic a little. Good luck!!

The issues here is that a "drake type beat" can sound like something you'd play at a party, OR like something your friends would call you gay for listening to! haha. So it would depend on what year drake you want.

For the current Drake make a simple kick/snare pattern and reverse it. Add it to your track where there's not a lot of other things happening - maybe a bassline or something. Could be at the chorus if the drums stop at the chorus, or possibly an intro, outro, or breakdown.

For a Take Care drake - use samples! ( I know NWTS had many samples as well but I feel like for a Take Care type feel samples are more important). try lowering the pitch of these samples when you chop them (if you chop them). Where to find samples? That's on you! I would suggest going to the website called " whosampled" and search your favorite Drake songs - see what samples the producers used!

For the sad drake songs, try reversing samples and have a lot of piano.

And finally for Thank me Later - you need some sick chord progressions and dirty drums.

That's my general breakdown to you!
-Yovi

Last edited:
There a lot a lot of Drake Styles lol need to be a little more specific.
But what comes to mind when hearing "how to make drake style beat" is

AMBIENCE PADS Chord Progressions for the most parts

make tight drum kicks, snappy snares with low decay/res, have typical trap high hats, and mess around with ambient/atmospheric pads. After you have a little background maybe work on some ethereal lead or bells to go in the song or something. If you can sample listen to jazz/ethereal music and sample that.

well a lot of his tracks have a different feel to me .

when 40 engineer's ...his tracks they sound mopey
(most of the time its : low synth, piano, snare, a sample that has been warped , etc)

when its boi-1da, etc producing its more of a club/party feel.
(big distorted 808, brass, catchy chord/melodic progression, warped sample, good drums/percs etc..)

most of the time when i make a 'drake type' . i start working on a melody for the low synth. then keys and so on .

Back