First Bar
KICK X-----X---------
SNARE --------X-------
HI-Hat X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-

Second bar
KICK --X-X-X---X-----
SNARE --------X-------
HI-Hat X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-

Next take a Boom Bass sample put it into a piano roll and replicate the pattern of the Kick steps above. Experiment with scales for the boom bass.
This drum pattern isnt set in stone so toy around with the pattern a little and see what you come up with.

Salud
Skenny

well not everyone is as awesome as you Chillaz.. some people are new to making music and need some way to get started... this is the theory and composition board;)

What eludes me still is how to get those fast a$$ 808 snares that change octaves. I mean I can do them but it is time consuming as hell and I hear people do them enough to know that they are using a technique that can't be as time consuming as mine.

If you have a drum sampler like battery, just get an 808 snare and give it 4-5 cells, and pitch the cells...it takes about ten seconds.

Last edited:
ThaBeastman said:
If you have a drum sampler like battery, just get an 808 snare and give it 4-5 cells, and pitch the cells...it takes about ten seconds.

Naw, I got reason. Can anyone tell me how to do it in reason? (Reason 4 BTW)

noblewordz said:
Use your pitch bend wheel.

Come on man, that won't be precise like what these cats be doin with them fast a$$ snares.

Last edited by a moderator:
hastyleboygenious said:
Come on man, that won't be precise like what these cats be doin with them fast a$$ snares.

Your over complicating it. There is no big secret.

If the tempo is to fast reduce the tempo, automate the pitch then put he tempo back up.

Bet, you right, I don't know why I keep thinkin its some super technique that I can't figure out. Right on Noble, I'ma give that a try.

or...

noblewordz said:

If the tempo is to fast reduce the tempo, automate the pitch then put he tempo back up.

actually you could just use the NN19 and load up the snare sample in that box in the center.

GoKeBe said:
actually you could just use the NN19 and load up the snare sample in that box in the center.

could you elaborate on that? i tried that and it didn't work.

noblewordz said:

load up the same snare into redrum like 4 times, then change the pitch of each sample and create the sequence so it plays them one after the other.

lol.. nice post i guesss... i know eventually will ask for it so its not a waste

I'm new to this thig but i dnt think thats how stuff reallty goes. I tried it and umm no. i though the tempo was between 75 and 89 for dirty south. and the way u moved a snare one 1/4 beat closer is zany. now i e only been doin this for 8 months but none of the music I listen to has anything similar to this in it. jus sayin it didnt help me at all. thanks for ur effort tho.;)

i can only explain snare rolls in fl studio but the best way to do it where its not just the basic snare repeat at 1/64th make a melody out of the snare close and every few snares chop it up(speed it up, whatever you wana call it) and then the last few snares bring em all close together and make chop em up like if listen to luv dem gun sounds by lex luger thats how that snare roll would b made..well atleast thats how i made it when i recreated check my soundclick especially the rigor mortis and asquad track that has those type of dirty south snare rolls but listen to them on the music page the embedded player has fucced up quality

Last edited:
Back