how to make this cool bass sound

Just sounds to me like EQ & compression and yes a fast attack in the volume envelope.

Maybe the bass has below 100 hz and the kick is primarily 100-150 hz or something like that. Also the bass is compressed it seems.

Even beyond the side chain compression with the kick.

just try a nice sub bass with some overdrive/distortion but not to much you really want them low sub frequencies to compliment it and like the previous poster said eq it right and it will fit nicer

It is a bass guitar with some compression applied

it is playing the range 31Hz-41Hz - sounds like low B's and D's and E's to me

you can hear it at the beginning as well, but, yes, it is all that low but you are hearing the octave and the 12th and the double octave as well as several higher order harmonics

The sound reminds me of the settings I used to use on a pedal based graphic eq at the start of the 80's to get my tone for some of the really brash pop and snap style of bass playing ala Brothers Johnson/Larry graham/Stanley Clarke it was a 7 band unit spaced in octaves so that the bands were centered on

50, 100, 187, 375, 750, 1500, 3000 more or less and I set it so that the gain was +12,-12,+12,-12,+12,-12,+12 (drastic but it got the sound I wanted - I'd be far more subtle these days, having access to multi-band parametric eqs and all - a luxury not able to be afforded even a decade ago)

Back