How to make this Chorus Bass!?

Benmcc

Hey Ive heard this in a few songs now, It sounds simple to make but I have no idea how to.

Does somebody now how I could recreate this bass, the wide bass come in at 0:03?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I messed around for a little bit and i made a similar effect. i looked through the synth bass presets i have and found a sub bass that sounded similar to the one in the song. I messed with the cutoff and sine to match it up a little closer.

then i used the stock chorus plugin (in logic) and turned the mix all the way up and the rate to around 0.5 hz. I'm not sure what plugins you have so you might have to mess with them a little bit.

i also used a phaser plugin and just left it on default. you will may have to adjust it. i had it at a very slow rate going left and right with the mix pretty low.

if you are using a different daw than logic or garageband screenshots may not help as much but i thought i would include them in case.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.41.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.41.10 PM.png

i have no idea if this helped at all but i thought i'd try :)

I messed around for a little bit and i made a similar effect. i looked through the synth bass presets i have and found a sub bass that sounded similar to the one in the song. I messed with the cutoff and sine to match it up a little closer.

then i used the stock chorus plugin (in logic) and turned the mix all the way up and the rate to around 0.5 hz. I'm not sure what plugins you have so you might have to mess with them a little bit.

i also used a phaser plugin and just left it on default. you will may have to adjust it. i had it at a very slow rate going left and right with the mix pretty low.

if you are using a different daw than logic or garageband screenshots may not help as much but i thought i would include them in case.

View attachment 44426View attachment 44425

i have no idea if this helped at all but i thought i'd try :)

Hey man,

Thanks so much for the reply!

do you mind telling me what plugin you used to make the synth itself before you applied the chorus?

is it just a simple sine wave?

thanks again!

I would use a lowpassed square wave. (possibly sawtooth, I'm no expert and it's harder to tell when it's lowpassed).

I'd also highpass it at around 100hz after adding the chorus, and add in a dry sub. The chorus will probably cause some inconsistencies in the sub fundamental.

You could definitely find a preset that sounds close to that.

Also, I bet a fair amount of that feeling of wideness from the bass was actually added during the mastering stage.

I was using the "hard tech bass" preset in logic with ES2 as the instrument + a low pass at 100 hz to get rid of the click on the bass. if you have that then great, but otherwise its a sawtooth sub bass with a really low cutoff and low pass. It sounds a lot like an 808 but with no release if that helps. you could find an 808 knockoff, turn the release off, then low pass it.

I like to make sounds from scratch myself so might have a pretty good idea of how its made. But don't don't rely on it 100%, and try your own methods you might come up with something interesting, which is part of the fun!

There definitely a low pass filter in there to start with. To phatten it up there probably a sine wave an octave lower than the others. Im not sure if the movement is done completely using chorus or modulation plug-ins as they can be quite dangerous when it comes to phasing issues on the bass. Some of the movement can be added from very slight de-tuning, not so much cause again, phasing issues. Also have you tried using a wave-table synth like massive or serum? Which some of the modulation could also be a ver slow LFO modulation added to the OSC wave, like a pulse wave? or from a sine to a triangle? and you could also add a bit of crisp with some small amount of AMP modulation, which you could also try it on the filter, these can be done by the use of a Sub- Oscillator? or an slightly fast LFO that is barely audible? Try some of these things and im sure with some very slight tweaks you'll get there, or at least something similar, plus dont forget you can make it more your own sound if you come across something different in the process. I hope this helps!

PS. If you want I could try making a preset like this and sending it to you if I get the time

All the best,
Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Back