How to make beats more complex.

Nothing there complex, i'd say abstract but not complex. Reason for hits... Drake in the title. Millions of rappers looking for beats, lol!

But to answer the question, find a complex piece of music and sample it.... Then add a beat. Well, don't actually but that's all a lot of people do.

It probably didn't take them very long on the actual track but quite some time spent on many tracks to get to that level.

And YES adding Drake style will get them more views. But they'll soon fade off if the quality isn't there. If it is the views will keep coming back and grow.

Soundcloud or youtube will not get you more hits. if it's good people will listen, if it's really good people will remember.

Complexity takes time. Next year you'll look back at what you made this year and realize how complex you've gotten, look back at what you made when you started producing. The best produced tracks are complex, but they do not sound complex, the best produce tracks are complex but sound simple

Wapiti i think you are wrong. People cant know is it good before they listen . But if u put title " Drake type beat " it deffinetly gives more exposure.

the beats arent too complex. if you take a listen to the structure it'll surely reveal itself. great sound design though on all the songs, thats what makes it sound complex i think

Last edited:
Wapiti i think you are wrong. People cant know is it good before they listen . But if u put title " Drake type beat " it deffinetly gives more exposure.

If you are appealing to an audience that are clicking "drake type beat" that is not the audience you want listening.

You need to people to HEAR it so they will LISTEN. Good music gets passed on, "drake type beats" are soon forgotten

To the OP. I'm 36, a little older than the "turn up" music generation. There's nothing complex about these hypnotic/808 loopy spaced out style beats at all. I suggest you listen to DJ Quik, DJ Battlecat, Roger Troutman, Jimmy Jam Terry Lewis, Gamble & Huff, Devante Swing, Mantronix, Teddy Riley, Prince, and a lot of 70s/80s funk bands. Those compositions and arrangements are all played with a significant amount of detail that evoke certain moods and feelings in the listener. Since I'm a DJ and sound engineer I hear things that people may never pick up on especially when I have my headphones on. I'm serious. Youtube those styles of producers I mentioned. Throwing 808s kicks and triplet hi-hats in a beat doesn't make it complex. Even Miami Bass/Egyptian Lover had some sort of complexity. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
Back