How to make beats like Owl City ?

yalikoyrecordz

Hi yall im using FL Studio n i wanna make so soft leads and sounds but so hard to make , i searched on youtube but nobody show how to make beats like owl city , no tutorial , im on it since 3-4 weeks i have nexus, serum, z+ta, sylenth1, massive n more but i cant create chords or stuffs so i cant make a beat like owl city.

Anybody can help me ?

I would say the best thing to do is to analyze his tracks, try to find the instrumentals of his songs, and listen to them to see what exactly gives them that sound. Although honestly I'd say just to try to find your own sound instead of trying to sound like someone else, but I guess copying your influences is common for a lot of up and coming producers.

You use the third and the fourth sample from the left and lay it out in a 4x2 pattern for 28 seconds until you introduce one of the awesome chord stab presets from nexus until the track ends, use one white key and 2 black ones in each chord and don't forget to turn the volume up every now and then so you can hear what you're doing. Also you can't make beats like owl city unless you have all the same gear and you are actually one and the same person. Send mix to a big "make everything sound much better" plugin and you should be all set.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how to get such a great sound quality. All his songs are clear and crisp... sigh.

Sorry to sound discouraging but owl city has some of the best and clearest mixes ive ever heard. If you've only been doing this 3 weeks and are using that as a reference point, youre gonna get frustrated and quit most likely.

Its gonna take you years to gain enough knowledge and experience to make productions of that quality.

The best place to start is to just start learning as much mix theory as possible. Forget about mastering for like 1-2 years(seriously) and work on mixing and composition. Dont work on mixing for 2 months then think your good to go..This is gonna take a long time. Once you have that nailed mastering will be cake. And the only way youre gonna get quality like owl city is if you go into the master with a prime mix. So all you should be thinking about is mixing theory mixing theory mixing theory. This is all assuming you will learn composition along the way too. But dont get ahead of the mix and assume the master is gonna bring out owl city.

Last edited:
Back