how to make bass more screechy and less muddy?

The typical dubstep bass sounds heard here does not come from low bands, they come from mid-frequencies, even a touch of higher frequencies. Remember that a lot of dub step bass is a lot of programming.
And as with most edm styles, basses are heavily layered. To cover the low frequencies people often use a basic sine sound from their fav synth.

Also; how is your monitoring? Is it capable of delivering sub 65hz sound to your ears?

Depending on your DAW/synths; search youtube for "how to make dubstep bass in nameofyourDAWgoeshere" and take a look at the videos with the most views and likes.

Last edited:
What Heyclown said. Keep in mind that those brostep basses are very well distorted as well, therefore, adding more harmonics on the mid-high frequency range.

EQ won't be sufficient if you are looking for that dub step pass play style. You need to program a synth or use a patch that has a dub step approach. What synths do you have?
Here is how to make a dub step wobble bass in Massive (Native Instruments) Top this with Sausage fattener or similar plug ins

right now i'm working with a triple oscillator in my daw.

what's the difference between a synth that has a dubstep approach and one that doesn't?

Apply only a small amount of reverb if none at all. Remove any chorus effect. Use a transient to boost the high frequencies, along with boosting a little high end with EQ. Then apply distortion either using bitcrush, clipping, or some effects similar.

Maybe try some multi-band processing. It makes it easier to emphasize the higher frequencies while subduing the lows. That way you can add effects to highs, mids and lows independently. There are several ways to go about it based on which DAW you are using. You could also try using a plugin such as Ohmicide.

I don't know about dubstep basses completely but you want cut every thing except the low mids and upper mids/high end for those type "EDM" basses..

Last edited:
I don't know about dubstep basses completely but you want cut every thing except the low mids and upper mids/high end for those type "EDM" basses..
Huh? The big room EDM you hear a lot on radio/festivals has a very heavy bass bottom, very often below the kick. You absolutely do not wanna cut that.
And typically they are layered.

Last edited:
Huh? The big room EDM you hear a lot on radio/festivals has a very heavy bass bottom, very often below the kick. You absolutely do not wanna cut that.
And typically they are layered.

Yeah and they're layered with something like eye said.. The guy says he wants more screechy and less mud. When eye say low mids eye mean 100-300 hz area. and upper mids to get that "screech/sizzle"

Back