How long does it take you to produce a song?

I made the most recent track on my soundcloud in 30 minutes, I timed it with a stop watch. I'm not going to lie though I break frequently, watch tv, smoke a j, take a walk, or give my kid a bath. It just really depends, Trap type beats are the fastest for me, a sampled beat can easily take me hours.

Off course you also need to think about quality. (Not getting at anyone - just thinking that the overall view here seems to be about speed and not how good the product is.)

And just to side-ram my above point - I've also got a third speed which I practice which is "Song on the spot". Basically the person in the office gives me a title and a genre (or other directions) for a song and I grab a nearby guitar and produce a song straight off. Good practice and it might come in handy at some point.

Think I beat everyone there! (Not the point - the angel on my shoulder tells me) 4 minutes! (Or however long the song is)

I never rush a song, I could only see bad results happening If I were trying to speed through the process. But I usually like to make it atleast like a 3 day thing.

A typical process for me would be to make the song for a few hours. Work on something else. Come back to the song another day so I can add some new elements to it with some fresh ideas and an open mind. This always improves the quality of the beat for me, not talking sound quality.

Then I could mix right after and then I'll usually start composing and working on a new track. I will then go back to mixing the beat the next day so my ears aren't fatigued to the point I can't notice things anymore, I would highly recommend not mixing in one day for this very reason. When I'm done the second mix through, I'll chill and do something else before I start mastering so go into it fresh again.

It may look like a long time cause it's over few days but I'm working on other tracks also in between that time so it really works out the same overall but at the same time your not sacrificing quality for speed.

I tend to take months on productions, if not simply for the fact that I've been spending more time on practicing my instruments lately than actually writing music. Even without, I will still sometimes take months to perfect a song, especially if I'm writing for orchestra. I don't like to rush my productions, everything I've ever rushed sucked.

It all depends on the type of track I am making. If it is a club or trap type of beat, then it could be a few hours or longer. If I am making an R&B track or something with a lot of orchestra in it, I like to take a lot longer simply because I don't want to rush through the composition. Unless there is a deadline of a day, I suggest just to take your time.

Back