How long does it take you to produce a song?

I can't really mix or master yet but just making the beat takes me anywhere from 30 mins to a couple hours. Depends on if I can't get the sample right or can't find a good melody

can take me 3 hours to few days depends! , my fastest mixed beat + recorded vocals were in 2:50 straight hours of work , Depends like for people that make simple beats like 1 simple melody and a repeating beat it could take 10 minutes .Most of the hits now days are based on simplicity.

Dear Yuno,

liftedCREATION takes 1 to 3 days, up to a couple of weeks to complete our royalty free production tracks, this is determined by the music production track length and amount of full orchestrated instruments we are going to include in our production mix. We take our music tracks to all different types of audio devices, home stereos, cars, ipods, etc. There is a period of intensive listening where we try to hear our music on as many different formats as possible so we know what the track sounds good on, this is a good technique whenever you are going to produce music. We then mix our production tracks accordingly.

It is all in how complex the production track is. Simple beats and loops are generally produced in a day but take a week or so to get right. Full Orchestrated tracks may take many weeks to perfect and get right.

Don't be shy to take time in your production music. Quality over quantity...

lC

Yeah that's my biggest issue: pacing. When I first started I was definitely geared towards just pumping out tracks but in the end it's all about quality. In today's music market every track should be treated like a single.

Depends

In alot of my tracks i use alot of automation and enveloping so that takes more time , plus mixing for me takes 1-2 hours , so overall it takes me around 5 hours per beat , which is why I support the NO FREE DL movement

it can vary, though I would say that it if it taking ages the music generally turns out poor.

I try and get main track down the same day, so you capture the energy an vibe, then session for arrangement and session for fills and final tweak..

Hope it helps. A trick is to try and systemise tasks you do regularly so they are quicker and dont take away from creation time

before it was an average of 2-4 hours but now i just lay down a main part, then take a break and come back to it later unless i have loads of ideas.

depends on the beat but anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days

For me making a beat (Excluding Mix and Mastering which I have no clue how to do :-/) About 3-5 hrs straight thru.

Im learning how to be more patient, take my time and not rush...

Depends.

If I was really dedicated and working on just one song, I can probably get it done in about a day (6-8 hours).

I rarely finish a track the same day. Most of the time I first come up with ideas and just make a hook. I save it then, and either I come back at it a couple days later and then see if I came up with new ideas. That way you can come up with more ideas for the song, and the finishing product will sound more like an unique product rather than a quick beat that has been looped all the way throughout the song. Mixing and Mastering takes up like 3-4 hours yeah, depends again on how I feel about it.

So on average the whole process (with long breaks) I finish a track in like 2-3 days? But remember I come up with multiple ideas a day though, so on days that I have zero inspiration, I can just re-open those projects and see what I can do to it. Making music shouldn't be a 1-2 hour thing, it should be like your full-time job, and therefore you should give it as much time as possible!

I have read that Polow Da Don, sometimes stays up for 2 days straight if he has a project with deadlines. That's real dedication for one's craft!

At the moment I have two speeds of production which I use as guidelines...

1/ (about a week) 1/ Writing/arranging 4 hours
2/ Recording/arranging 12 hours / a/ Backing
b/ Vocals
c/ Final recording
3/ Mixing 12 hours a/pre-mix
b/ basic mix
c/ Final mix
4/ Mastering 4 hours

I think that makes 32 hours for my main production, but I am also working on getting productions done in a day (In case a quick song is required). This is for a full song and not a beat btw.

For me making a baets takesfrom 2hours to 5hours : ). But like alomsot everyone said it depends on what you are working with :)

I don't worry about mastering I just mix the track

Full instrumental - this depends on the instrumental of course can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours
Song - This can take anywhere anywhere from 5 hours - weeks. It depends on the artists to be honest. A lot of times everyone starts collaborating and things change. Other ideas come from the main project it can be a time consuming thing unless you have go in knowing exactly what you want and even then it can be an all day event. I've spent many of all nighters getting songs complete.

No lie...if I'm making a beat while guys are writing the song...2 hours max. Usually because I'm waiting on them to get the rap right.

It's not hard and really quick work to add breakdowns and changeups around the artists as you record the song.

Really just depends. Sometime an hour or two. But other times I may tweak and fiddle with a track for months. I just actually loaded a beat I started 2 years ago and finished it earlier this week. LoL

Back