how to layer drums?

D

djsaam

I'm starting to layer my drums to make them sound more unique. I'm guessing you do this in your sampler. I use recycle and battery 3 for my samples. So if i want to layer 3 kicks to make on fatty kick how would I do this?

In battery, you can drag multiple samples into one cell. I usually use Guru for stacking, because it's easier for me to manipulate.

Then alot of times, I'll have Guru and Battery playing drum patterns at the same time.

i layer my kicks and wen i do i like to tune the pitch on all of the layerd drums so there in tune with eachother it makes them sound fuller and blend together nicely

Another way is if you have some loops, I do this all the time. make a beat, ( do you have Ableton Live? ) then load it into Live.

Play your looped beats, preferably a basic kick/snare/hat thang, then browse you sample cd with the trigger set to beat match the sample being browsed. Listen through as the beats are playing with yours and look out for hits that sound full and workable. Then load the loop in.

If the new loaded loop had a wack kick but the snare sounded good with your snare for example, go into the envelope section on the clip and silence everything but then snare.

Bounce it off and chop it up to get your new snare. You''ll need to perform a fade out and stuff usually but just tidy it up.

Kicks too. Well, anything. Lives great for this, running another loop alongside yours with synced BPM is a sure way to get new drum sounds. Some things might require extra work but it's easier than ****in about trying to force **** to happen.

have used many different pieces of equip and i think battery is great for this.

just load your sounds to whatever key/pad of your controller you want them, then click on the map tab on the bottom left and you can adjust the volume/velocity levels of the individual sounds to your taste. you can then edit the envelopes (attack sustain etc) of the sounds with the knobs above the actual waveform, and the volume of the overall stacked sound on the fader to the right of the waveform

i layer my drums with my mpc and rack eq, i sample a break through my eq, chop it, make a program and assign multiple pads to be played at once. from there i just make my beat

^^^^^ dont u just love mpc's? Lol : ).

but really mpc's are great and easy for layering among about a thousand other things.

To layer a kick use 808's they give the drums kick. To layer snares I like to get them crunchy by using claps mixed with snares.

mpcs are one of the most use full units ever made. u might want to look at one if you havent great "real" feel to ur music and production. there is just some thing bout spinnin that dam wheel all day and then just bangin on the pads, for me it deffinatly lives up to its name as my midi production center.

Back