How to have hard playing piano sound soft???

Dennis1990

A lot of music from the 1960's 1970's have piano playing the sounds like its but played normal or hard, not softly played and doesn't overpower the song
It sounds like theres hardly any reverb on it to to make it sound soft

Is there anyway to EQ piano chords played to sound like this??
I work in FL 10
And Im not recording my piano live.

Starts at :53

It's because it's an actual pianist actually playing the actual piano softly. Find yourself a mate who plays piano and record them.

Your best bet is to use multisamples and turn down the velocity of your midi notes so the sampler plays the samples of the piano being played piano.
If not, then you could try equinng out the high end, but I can't see it working very well.

yep, real musicians playing real instruments in the same room at the same time with distant micing of the piano and the backing orchestra compared to the violin and trumpet

This is not related to a real musician at all
You can cut the high frequencies, or some high mids, compressed with fast attacks and slow release , put a dark reverb, and even use a deesser to control high and high mid frequencies....

Also he plays pretty soft he doesn't pound the keys

Og, and great mixing is also involved

If you aren't using a sample and have the ability to edit the velocity, I would start there.

Don't have all the notes of the chord playing at full velocity; have one or two there just to add a bit of flavor.

Is there anyway to EQ piano chords played to sound like this??
I work in FL 10

You could try to eq the piano to push it more into the background, although that's not necessarily softer.

To do that, use a high shelf in fruity parametric eq 2 (the graphic eq), and lower it a few dB around 5khz to see if that makes it sound better.

Other than that, maybe you just want to mess with the ADSR. You can do that within the VST itself or modify it with such processes as compression/gating/expansion, etc

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back