How to give a Chorus that extra punch?

Tinseltopia

Ever since I've started producing, the one problem I've always ran into is that my Choruses never seem to have any impact

I chalked that up to not knowing how to produce yadda yadda, but 2 years on... I fill the frequency spectrum, add in a kick and hard hitting snare - a nice mid to high end melody... but still my chorus is lacking

https://clyp.it/wgkfx0gh - This is a small WiP of a track that I'm about done with. So I'm just gonna throw it, before that though I'd like to learn from it.

To me, the track has absolutely no impact after the build up and I can't figure out why

Any advice for a newbie?

sounding really cool

you could try making the build up longer, and with less stuff going on, to build up some more suspense for the drop.

also not sure if you automated the volumes on anything, but you could try having the bass drum and snare a lower volume before the drop, and then right when the drop kicks in turn up the kick and/or snare to make it hit a bit harder. could even turn up the lead / bassline / other sounds too at that point, totally up to you. that difference in volume might be what it needs to make the drop stand out more.

dope melody keep it up!!

Last edited:
I nearly always automate the volume of my master channel to drop down to -1db just before the drop hits. this automation is most of the time occuring in the fill between buildup and drop or somtimes even the entire buildup.

Make shure to bring the volume back up as the drop hits! also if that does't help try having everything down by 1 or 2 db except the drop. this will make the effect hit even harder!

Hope it helped

BRHSM

In my opinion, it's got nothing to do with the volumes.

I also think automation on the master channel volume is not very good practice. If you are using midi, Why wouldn't you program a lower velocity instead? Anyways back on topic...

In my opinion you brought in the melody too quick!

you have exposed the drop before the drop..

Try hold back on the main melody only drop hints of it leading up to the drop, that way when it fully drops the main melody will open up and have more impact.

Also maybe a bit of filter automation on the lead up to the drop on the melody would make it drop harder too..

you our can even filter or cut out the kick drum completely in the lead up before drop also.

Last edited:
Back