How to get these Brass sounds

RhyanCrisis

i was wondering how can i get these epic rushing brass sounds with vsts and if they are playing chords or not? i know brass you usually do not play chords because of the instrument in real life, but with computers.. you can do pretty much whatever you want. is this just a reverby stabbing brass chords? or what?.. what kind of chords?

here are some examples of what i mean

at 0:13 in the song

at 0:30 in the song

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Get a condenser microphone. *Keep sure you have phantom power.
2. Eat a giant bean burrito.
3. Rip ass.
4. Keep sure the attack and decay is vicious and the sustain and release is visceral and nauseating.
5. Transpose your "brass" to the desired key.
6. Cut around 400 Hz (or wherever there may be undesired harmonics in the low end.) High pass filter, then boost with a large bandwidth around 4 kHz. Then attenuate the frequencies at 10 kHz to remove unwanted "air" frequencies.
7. You may use major or minor 7th chords (anything really) just keep sure to experiment with open and closed voicings. P.S. Yes use chords!

-or-

Use Session Strings by NI and just do steps 4-7.

*Good luck on your endeavors.

first one a nice composite of trumpets, tenor sax and trombone in close harmony; good sounds to be found in either session Horns pro or garritan Jazz and Big Band

second one is more strident trumpets and trombones in octave playing marcato; again, good sounds to be found in either session Horns pro or garritan Jazz and Big Band

third one is synth brass (mostly saw waves and appropriate adsr for filters and vca); could get away with layering some strings t\with it

fourth one , same deal as the third one synth patch not real brass.....

If you are willing to pay the money,
Sample Modeling | Products
You then can play the brass or woodwinds yourself. Someone still has to show me a better sounding VST for woodwinds and brass. Expensive if you want a fuller orchestration. They do sell bundles.
To get these quality sounds, having quality samples is one. Like having all notes sampled and play those out.They are gonna miss the variety and little errors that give it a real human feel. Some vsts get closer to a real feel then others.
Working with samples and rearranging those samples is another option.
Synth brass or woodwind is another option. Some sound majorly crappy though. With some eq and other effect/filtering/layering magic, you can fool some. In the end, it's all about if it sounds nice or not.

Back