How to get Rhythm/Groove in Drum patterns?

bad_ov

So recently I've been working on mixing and production and everything, but I've noticed that alot of my tracks really just don't have a "groove" or "rhythm" element. I don't know if that's the exact way to describe it, but I'm listening to some of my tracks and they just don't groove to me, I can't really "nod my head" if that makes sense.

I can't tell if i'm just being to hard on myself, but the thing is, I can make these beats for days, i just can't really feel them.

Here are two drum loops that are different, maybe that'll help? (they're not mixed LOL)

What could I do to improve the "nod your head" factor?

I don't think that only drums can make you nod your head, but the overall song itself. Without any other elements other than what a drumkit has to offer, is pretty hard to "nod your head" to it.

I don't think that only drums can make you nod your head, but the overall song itself. Without any other elements other than what a drumkit has to offer, is pretty hard to "nod your head" to it.

Never thought about that, thanks for the input!

Well, I think there are plenty of drummers who can pull off a hell of a groove just by themselves. But I agree that more often than not a groove consists of interplaying elements.

Well, I think there are plenty of drummers who can pull off a hell of a groove just by themselves. But I agree that more often than not a groove consists of interplaying elements.
I agree, some drummers can. But you have to prefer drums over other instruments, IMO. I normally bang to Mike Portnoy's stuff, because I like how he plays. Same happens to a lot of jazz drum players.

But the most banging music for me is Raining Blood (Slayer), in that part before the solo. If you listen to the drums separately, nothing. But with guitars and bass? Man, that gives me de will to mosh all by myself while listening to it through headphones in the middle of my living room.

Nice, maybe that's what it is. I just feel like my music sometimes sounds too stiff, maybe it's not the drums, but other elements? I don't know, but I'll look into it. Thanks man!

You are not quantizing are you? I like to play real time with the metronome on and then make small adjustments after. I almost never snap to any grid. That's where you will most definitely loose groove.

You are not quantizing are you? I like to play real time with the metronome on and then make small adjustments after. I almost never snap to any grid. That's where you will most definitely loose groove.

Yeah i have most my stuff quantized, so that could be it (and probably most likely is). I'm not so good at actually playing the drum patterns on my midi controller but practice makes perfect.

I had this problem a year ago. For you to feel groove coming from your drums there are some key points (in my humble opinion):

The kick sample has to be good (high quality) or if you decide to make your own kick it must have a nice combination of attack and low bass layer(of course depends on the style you produce, but search for kicks on your genre and study them). It has to stand out in your drum mix.

The snare/clap must make the 2nd and 4th beat of every bar hit stronger than the 1st and 3rd. If their volume is too low or the EQ isn't right, you will not be able to feel the groove generated by the 2nd and 4th beat (snare drum hits).

The hihats are a key element to the groove in your tracks. Some styles like hard electro (btw it is my main genre) use the hihats as a background tool to make the track sound fuller, and that has an enormous impact on the feeling projected by the drum mix. Try different patterns and see how it affects the overall groove.

And the final and most important thing for me to make a groovy track is HOW/WHERE the notes of the other instruments are placed in relation to your drums. If your drums can communicate with other synths, elements, etc. you will start to feel emotions in your tracks. :D

For me groove is about communication between drums(kick relation with clap/snare and hihats) and synths(are your synths adding more fun to your drums or not?), it is the rhythmic quality in your track.

Hope I've helped! :DD

-4ngus

I had this problem a year ago. For you to feel groove coming from your drums there are some key points (in my humble opinion):

The kick sample has to be good (high quality) or if you decide to make your own kick it must have a nice combination of attack and low bass layer(of course depends on the style you produce, but search for kicks on your genre and study them). It has to stand out in your drum mix.

The snare/clap must make the 2nd and 4th beat of every bar hit stronger than the 1st and 3rd. If their volume is too low or the EQ isn't right, you will not be able to feel the groove generated by the 2nd and 4th beat (snare drum hits).

The hihats are a key element to the groove in your tracks. Some styles like hard electro (btw it is my main genre) use the hihats as a background tool to make the track sound fuller, and that has an enormous impact on the feeling projected by the drum mix. Try different patterns and see how it affects the overall groove.

And the final and most important thing for me to make a groovy track is HOW/WHERE the notes of the other instruments are placed in relation to your drums. If your drums can communicate with other synths, elements, etc. you will start to feel emotions in your tracks. :D

For me groove is about communication between drums(kick relation with clap/snare and hihats) and synths(are your synths adding more fun to your drums or not?), it is the rhythmic quality in your track.

Hope I've helped! :DD

-4ngus

nice nice, i love the information you've provided here, I'll definitely look into it. Btw, i listened to your headshot mix and it is amazing! good job.

Back