How to get rhodes to sound better!?

thenewbian

I have no idea how to get my rhodes to sound good..its like no matter what i do they keep sounding cheap...and im using sampletank 2..any ideas on how to get them to sound more proffessional?..im trying to get that erykah badu,musiq type quality sounding keys

try running the instrument through quite a hard compressor. up the release time if you can, and add the obvious reverb and delay. and most importantly, randomize the velocity a little on the individual notes to give it a "played" feel compared to just a digitally processed sound.

i thought this thread was about a real rhodes and got excited

silly me

yasrsly run it through like 6 compressors you'll be good to go

Thanks a lot guys.....but just for education purposes..what exactly does that do when im compressing it?..cause ive always compressed my drums but never my actual music..what does it do to the music and should i always be doing this?

Last edited:
thenewbian said:
Thanks a lot guys.....but just for education purposes..what exactly does that do when im compressing it?..cause ive always compressed my drums but never my actual music..what does it do to the music and should i always be doing this?

DC's answer was an ironic no-no, in case you didn't notice - compressing won't make it any more realistic. Actually, just slapping on more effects probably won't help if the source sound doesn't work...I haven't heard how the ST Rhodes sounds, so can't comment on it whether it's good or bad.

You can process it it as much as you like, run it through a gazillion dynamics, feed it through amp simulators..........but unless the samples and programming is excellent, you won't get anywhere near the real Rhodes sound.

In fact, you are better off using Mr Ray if it comes down it.

_is_ there even a decent software rhodes emulation out there?

something _at least_ on par with the electro?

i heard rumblings that NI's elektrik piano is supposed to be pretty nice, but i haven't heard it...

You could drive on the sidewalk and roll all of your windows down. Works for me.:p lol

Never mind me.

Last edited:
DC, I use lizardlounge for getting ideas down, but Scarbee's RSP 73 is pretty nice, nothing beats the real thing though.

thenewbian, you could try scarbee's fx thing, it's made for electric piano sounds.

thenewbian said:
I have no idea how to get my rhodes to sound good..its like no matter what i do they keep sounding cheap...and im using sampletank 2..any ideas on how to get them to sound more proffessional?..im trying to get that erykah badu,musiq type quality sounding keys

First of all, your samples probably suck.

Second, you need to perform the part well... It is essentially as simple as that.

You don't need a lot of fx... You just need to let it sound like a Rhodes.

thenewbian said:

If you do not know what a compressor will do to "music", then you do not understand what it is doing to your drums... There is no difference... It is still the same compressor.

Last edited:
dvyce said:
First of all, your samples probably suck.

Second, you need to perform the part well... It is essentially as simple as that.

You don't need a lot of fx... You just need to let it sound like a Rhodes.

If you do not know what a compressor will do to "music", then you do not understand what it is doing to your drums... There is no difference... It is still the same compressor.

i know what it does i just didnt know how it would help as far as making keys sound better

Back