How to get this kind of kick sound?

L

l3lackjax

How do you get the kick to sound like it does in this beat? It's so fat and big sounding but im having trouble trying to replicate it. And does anyone know what the instrument that comes in at 0:29 is called, or is it a synth?

That kick isn't too hard hitting. Grab the best kick out of your sounds you like, then EQ it. And that sound that comes on is a synth. Sounds kinda like a wavy sine lead, with a really low dance lead. Kinda like a Saw.

Listening to that kick a little more, sounds kinda like a rock type drum. With a little bit of reverb too. Maybe when you EQ the kick up, don't use the default tone, bring it down a key or two. Just to give it a little bit more deepness.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the kick is a kick drum with a loose front head and tighter batter head but tuned low. the additional treatment includes some big reverb with the tail damped, but that is about it.

the synth that comes in sounds like strings to me - violas and violins playing low

So, the kick is a kick drum with a loose front head and tighter batter head but tuned low. the additional treatment includes some big reverb with the tail damped, but that is about it.

the synth that comes in sounds like strings to me - violas and violins playing low

Yeah, definitely could be violins. Listening to it now, I don't know why I said a sine. Lmao, I guess it could be though.

Could you create this kind of kick with less then perfect samples that aren't using that technique you described using layering, compression and EQ? Cause I don't have access to a mic or a drumkit. Most I can get is samples. And these do kind of sound like strings tbh but I think they're tinged with some kind of synth.

Compression and EQ... When you use compression the attack and release control the "pocket" of the kicks so they'll bump in the right spots.... hope this helps

Back