How to get this guitar effect?

Dennis1990

I work in FL and RealStrat

I wondering what would I have to mess with to get the strum going like a reverb then stop it with a strum not soo reverby

I'm trying to get into doing R&B type instrumentals and guitars with a strum and the reverb is a big help.

Its NOT a reverb im looking for but how to have sound of the guitar going after a strum.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a very light, subtle reverb but most of the sound is coming from the guitarist simply holding the strings down and allowing the chord to ring out - to achieve this with any kind of emulation you need to use longer duration notes - downward arpeggios/strums for the most part

Use an alternate the strumming direction with shorter durations to get those sharp cutoffs

you also need to learn how to voice chords on a guitar as they are very different to how you might try to do them on the piano

I do not know how real strat works, but at a guess you need to sequence your notes so that the first note and all subsequent notes in your strum are sustained until the last point you want - you can do this using either the sustain pedal midi cc 64, which will hold all notes until released (64+ for the sustain to be on, 0-63 for it to be off best to use 0 for off and 127 for on) or to use extended durations for each note int eh strum so that the sound accumulates as the notes are added.

the second approach allows you to mimic hammer-on/pull-off type situation where some notes are changed like changing a c major chord to a C major 7th and back to c major (1st finger on the B string 1st fret to open string back to 1st fret)

Back