How to get front and back sounds

G

GoDown

I was wondering if someone could help me with a panning question. I know how to pan a sound to the left or right, but how can I get it to go to the front or back? I really suck at wording this, I hope you know what I mean. I use Acid for making my beats mostly.

There's no simple "back/forward" pan as there's for left and right. Basically it's about the levels, EQing and using slight reverbs creatively. Of course you can just mic a space with different instruments if you're working with live instrumentation.

krushing said:
There's no simple "back/forward" pan as there's for left and right. Basically it's about the levels, EQing and using slight reverbs creatively. Of course you can just mic a space with different instruments if you're working with live instrumentation.

Well, there is back/forward if you're making the tune in 5.1, but very few tunes are made in 5.1 and I dont think Acid has the capability to do 5.1 anyway....

damn guys, lets get a little more creative.

obviously people have pointed out 5.1, but to achieve depth in stereo space you can use reverb. If you want to make sound 3D in stereo, picture the following:

Compression: Helps move sound up and down

Pan: Move sound left and right

Reverb: Move sound further away/bring close

well i would suggest u play around with the audio effect available in which ever sequencer u using cause there is many effect that can do the automated panning i think u really after, Cubase SX has some great effects for this but i don't remember any namely cause it been a while since i used them

Sanguis Mortuum said:
Well, there is back/forward if you're making the tune in 5.1, but very few tunes are made in 5.1 and I dont think Acid has the capability to do 5.1 anyway....

Yeah, I just decided not to mention 5.1...it's a whole different deal, better just learn mixing in "basic" stereo first.

hmm.........i think reverb would cause too much eco........it's all about e.q's when u panning around........hip-hopking1.

nobody pointed chorus! :bigeyes:
chorus does bring the sound if front of the others, u must not abuse of it thou because it can alter the sound, but it pushes the sound in the front.
reverb will make a sound spacy, not in the front mix

back = slight delay

foward = chorus.....or was it reverb? try it anywayz!..

Back