How to get the Dive bomb effect on hypersonic 2?

izzy1

I'm trying to get that dive bomb-ish sound on hypersonic 2. Does anybody know how to get that effect?

Hmm. If you mean the "bomb dropping" synth oscillation in the Gap Band tune, that doesn't seem to appear in either of your other examples, so now I'm really stumped (as to what you talkin' 'bout Willis)...

GJ

yeah first example is classic bomb falling

the next two are downward pitch bends or slides, so I think we can discount them

for a believable bomb dropping scenario we have four things in play
1) the sound is getting nearer from above so we need to hear an increase in content around 6kHz the freq range we mostly use to determine height
2) the sound is probably slowly moving in the stereo field slightly from left to right and back as the bomb gets closer to its target
3) it may also be moving forwards-to-back or back-to-forwards so we need to manipulate freqs in the 2kHz-4kHz to effect this change in location
4) the doppler effect is also in play as the object is continually moving towards us at terminal velocity. Any sound we hear, is, therefore, going to be increasing in pitch the closer it gets: this increase in pitch is related to the velocity of the bomb, the current air temperature (this affects the speed of sound) and the instantaneous position of the bomb (this affects the current perceived pitch)

if you were to synthesise the sound itself is probably made up of
  • two or three triangle oscs spaced at the octave and the 12th (Octave + 5th)
  • as the bomb gets lower we need to change the cutoff frequency of a low pass filter to replicate the increased 6kHz content of the sound
  • we should probably use a random walk low freq oscillator to control the pan position placing left and right limits on the wandering nature of the lfo (i.e. we scale the oscillator output to our required L-R limits)
  • the pitch itself should continually move slightly up to replicate the effects of the doppler effect on its overall i.e. base pitch is probably 1200Hz to begin with but it moves up marginally,
  • as the bomb gets closer to the listening position we will also notice an increase in bass content, we can replicate this with a high-pass filter that is modulated to let more and more bass freqs in as time progresses
  • increasing/decreasing the presence frequencies (2kHz/4kHz) over time as well using a peaking filter with narrow bandwidth and adjusting the gain from -6dB to +3dB or vice versa
we could also duplicate the whole sound using
  • a more complex waveform like the square wave as the source is just 12ths or octaves (choose according to taste), with pitch increasing slowly as time moves on
  • then applying a peaking filter or two with a narrow bandwidth (about a 5th - depending on what you use this is likely to be a Q of 2 or 3 for most and 0.501 for reapers stock eq), gain of about +6dB or +9dB and sweeping the center frequency from high to low (say 12kHz down to 60Hz) very slowly; this will give the whistle and the presence effect whilst maintaining the sense of movement perhaps widen the Q of the filter as it starts to move below 6kHz
  • use the same panning algorithm
  • increasing/decreasing the presence frequencies (2kHz/4kHz) over time as well using a peaking filter with narrow bandwidth and adjusting the gain from -6dB to +3dB or vice versa (this may be already handled by the whistle filter above)

Last edited:
Sorry, for the late reply. Thanks, for the help but, I'm curious. I'm curious about how the bass glides off. I tried putting delay but that didn't work.

Like this, for example.

Well, It's how the bass goes gliding across. Like in this song.

Lil Herb Ft. Lil Bibby - All I Got (HD Lyrics on Screen) - YouTube

@ 0:41-0:43

Last edited by a moderator:
that is pitch bend: using a delay won't make that happen

use the pitch bend wheel on your keyboard to achieve this - push it up then release it - it will snap back to its original "0" position which is what you are hearing in all three of those tracks that we can hear this in

Last edited:
Back