how to find what notes and chords go to a vocal

alrightythen

atm im just playing the vocal and playing chords over the top trying to find nice sounding harmonies just need more help in it

ah - so we have gone over this in several threads now

your real goal here is to re-harmonise what is an essentially happy track

several approaches to do this

most obvious: substitute the relative minor for each major chord already identified for you (E->C#, A->F#m, B->G#m)

next obvious: substitute the chord a 3rd above the previously identified ones (E->G#m, A->C#m, B->D#m7b5, C#m->E)

every other possibility requires understanding of ii-V-I substitutions, where the final chord is deemed a temporary I|i chord (F#m-B7-E, Bm-E7-A, D#m7b5-G#7-C#m, C#m-F#7-B)

possibly use tritone substitutions

E-D#-C#m-B

Bb-A-G-F (won't sound pretty but is viable)

atm im just playing the vocal and playing chords over the top trying to find nice sounding harmonies just need more help in it

Load the vocal track into a plugin that can detect pitch, and then use chords that contain the notes you find in the pitch detector.

If you don't currently have software to do that I'm sure the freeware Audacity has pitch detection capability.

ok thanks man, yeah should i just find the chord progression then play melodys over the top pretty sure bandcoach said it was a ll-V-l?

it's actually E-A-C#m-B so would be I-IV-vi-V; the ii-V-I reference was to adding additional or substitute chords into the progression

like so (the chords that are bolded are the original chords in the progression)

Bm7-E-A-D#m-G#-C#m-F#-B

Back