How to find his own style ?

Wakeon

Hey everybody!!
I'm asking since a long time ago the same question : "How to find his own style" ?
Indeed, should I compose music i really like/love (even if it's very hard & difficult) or music I arrive to compose (tracks i know how to do).
Please help me :)
Thanks a lot,
Wakeon

each music creator has their own style that may be influenced by other producers. i'm a sample based producer so sometimes my work may be compared to the likes of dj premier, pete rock, 9th wonder, alchemist, etc. it would be good to adapt to multiple techniques. that will make you stand out more from other producers.

The more influences you have, the harder it becomes to pin down your stuff - which means it's becoming your own style. I don't think it's a black & white, this or that kind of thing but a gradual, nonlinear process.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding your own style. A lot of music is borrowed and redone. It's a cycle. Everybody has their own influences and tastes. Just make music you love to make. Even if you tried to sound like somebody, you can't. So have fun recreating someone else's technique, but just know in the end, you're going to sound like you, not anyone else. Sure people might call you out and say you sound too much like "so and so", but 95% of the time, all musicians will sound like another. Everybody makes DJ Mustard type beats, or Metro Boomin type beats. It's just what we do.

Having a unique sound is definitely a plus. If you copy, you can only be 2nd best. However what we create comes from influences of what we hear. Ray Charles was like hey, let's combine RnB with Gospel and invent something new, called "Soul". Be creative. Be Unique. :) And yes, loving what you do is all the fun of it.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what makes each track/genre unique in terms of actual theory and stuff. 'That kind of sound design is unique, I wonder if it would work at a faster/slower tempo' 'Why don't we make house with breakbeats' 'does dubstep have to be dark and bassy'

Then I can add the unique element from other tracks to my tracks without just copying them

Last edited:
well if someone is too good with the drums, he will naturally do what he knows best, he will be more focused on making complex drums

i think your style depends too much on what you focus and how good you can express your ideas also depend on experience because you know what works, what doesn't to make music that you like

because it could be someone who loves more energy on a song but don't know how to get there, it could be someone who loves more relaxing songs but what he knows always leads to aggressive and end up with something he didnt really wanted to but doesnt necessary mean bad

There's two sides to this argument (coming from a commercial standpoint):

SHORT-TERM ANSWER: GO THE SIMPLE ROUTE AND WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW
Make as much music as you can and get yourself out there. The more music of yours is out there, the more you'll get heard.
Say you're good at RnB: Maybe someone approaches you who heard your tracks and who wants you to write for him. Katshing!
This is good for making relatively short-term money. You write, people like it, ask you to write for them.

LONG-TERM ANSWER: GO THE DIFFICULT ROUTE AND CONSTANTLY PUSH YOURSELF
At least for the first couple of years in your writing career I suggest writing what you don't know. Try everything.
This adds to your repertoire AND your skill set. Unless you absolutely have to make a living with your music, this is the way
to go if you want long term success, because the only way to get better is to move out of your comfort zone.

I know a lot of writers who if you listened to their music you'd say "amazing". But the crux is: That's literally all they can do.
Ask them to write Hip Hop and they can't do it. They've just learned how to do one thing very well. And again, there's a place
for that. But if you want to achieve long-lasting success, the answer has to be train yourself to become an outstanding writer
with a lot of knowledge.

As an example: I have written for rock bands, jazz trios, big bands, orchestras and drum bands. I have
written all-electronical. I have written interactive pieces. I've written for television, games, radio and commercials. Did I enjoy
every second of it? Hell no. Some of that stuff was very difficult to pull off. But ultimately, it has made me a better writer.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if all of this triggered some new questions :)

Back