How to fill out my electro house beat?

odinnshred

Wireless Wizard!
Basically, I've got a powerful 4-to-the-floor bass drum, an off beat hi-hat, and an off beat shuffly sound which engulfs the frequencies of claps, snares, and above. I don't want to change the shuffly sound at all, but I want to know what sort of elements I can add to this beat to spice it up. It's mainly a dutch/funky house thing.

Hey,

Yeah quite difficult to say without hearing the song but, by the sounds of it you want the shuffly sound to remain while not taking up too much freq space on the drums/snares/claps?

I would sidechain compress the shuffly bit on the drum beat, this should sort that out.

Sweet
Z

I'd suggest adding some incidentals, one off sounds that don't occur very often in the beat but add a bit of depth and sustain interest.

Try using some vocal hits or some FX's.

You could also try having a drum loop sit just under the drums to add a bit of ryhthm.

This is arranging which there is surprisingly little books on.

It really depends on what you hear as said above, but I think you need a bass synth in there. Probably the best thing to do is to get a song you like and a notepad and listen close to what you hear.

I'd suggest adding some incidentals, one off sounds that don't occur very often in the beat but add a bit of depth and sustain interest.

Try using some vocal hits or some FX's.

You could also try having a drum loop sit just under the drums to add a bit of ryhthm.

What sort of drum loop would that be? Do you mean like a full-bodied drum loop or just like loops of little bits of percussion to bulk out what I've already made? If you mean the latter, where could I look at getting such loops?

---------- Post added 01-06-2012 at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-30-2011 at 07:47 PM ----------

I've now got a nice full beat, comprising a kick, two claps, two hi hatty sounds, and a couple of bongos/djembes.

I like to get very light, unintrusive closed-hi hat sort of sounds, perhaps from an 808 kit to splash around at random around your beat (volume level on these down, of course) to give it an undefinable, barely identifiable sense of movement in the background that the ear can't pin down, but it can groove to. Listen to the way DnB producers handle their hi-hats to get an idea of what I'm talking about :D

Back