How does fox stevenson do his sub bass?

wavewar3

Ok so I've tried experimenting with sub bass for a few hours and I'm kind of curious to how fox gets his sub bass to sound so clear and clean. You can tell what note is being played very easily. I've tried adding a square(also low passed with the sub) to the sub but I got not luck. It also seems like his sub bass is higher than most songs? I can here it pretty good on my speakers and with those sub isn't even a thing.

example:

from 0:13 - 0:41

example 2 :

basically the drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention , if it is sub then between what frequencies are your sub bass good to be in? I see in courses/articles/tutorials 20hz - 60hz which is what I usually do with a bandpass from 20 - 60 obviously , I see 20hz - 100hz , and sometimes 35-70.

bass goes down to C = 65.4Hz (there are those who will argue that it only goes down to E=82.4Hz (low E of 6-string guitar))
Sub bass starts below that and continues down to 20Hz, though most folks are hard pressed to hear anything below G=24.49Hz

What I am hearing in this bass is a low sine wave at the fundamental pitch (sub 65Hz) and then a saw wave an octave above with a little bit of lpf on it - your octave should not be as hard low passed as you might for the fundamental

the reason you can hear the pitch is that the octave is giving you the audible clues as to pitch whilst the fundamental is giving it the oomph you expect from the low end

Probably most of what you think is 'clarity' is probably just volume... turn it up a little. If you have problems with it clipping when the kick hits, you'll need to use some sidechaining with fairly fast attack and release

I agree with BC about the lowpassed sawtooth wave.

Back