How does the ASR-X TR 808 drum compare?

E

eoneel

Hey all. I was wondering if anybody who has played a real 808 could tell me if the 808 drum in the ASR-X comes close to the original sound. I own an ASR-X and I think it sounds pretty damn good for what it is but since I've never played an 808 I wouldn't be able to judge It against the original. Thanks!

Right on delphine, thanks for the info, and the link. I appreiciate it!

they are two completely unrelated units. One is a drum machine and the other is a sampler.

It is like asking which is better, a piano or a sampler (just because you heard a piano sample once.)

Do you see what I am saying?

Dvyce, That cleared that up nice. I see what your saying. Thanks for the explanation.

Question...
if I had an asr-x for the sampler and to use for the drums...
and i had a motif and/or vsts for the sounds

Is there a way to use them both for one song?

dvyce said:
they are two completely unrelated units. One is a drum machine and the other is a sampler.

this is partly true, cos ASR-X is also an sound module, thus has a synthesis engine. you can create drums from scratch on it, kinda like on a drummachine.

nevertheless, the drums don't compare into tr-808 tho..

theSammyshow said:
Question...
if I had an asr-x for the sampler and to use for the drums...
and i had a motif and/or vsts for the sounds

Is there a way to use them both for one song?

Sure. just record both parts into your DAW and mix em there.

Last edited:
disagree....i dontknow what id do withoutmy asr...i have the keyboard asr10 an box asrx....i love thesound i get from it...i sample my drums and sounds from fruity into the asrx add effx and throw themback in to fruity...ani love the feelof the pads more so than the mp

The ASR-X 808 sounds nothing like the real thing.

The closest you can probably get as an emulation is the Novation Drum Station - that does a pretty good approximation (as long as you add a bit of distortion - its a bit clean)

Back